Communique from the Chancery of the Synod 11/23

  • Rev Mark Gilstrap
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 23, 2001
      from:
      http://www.rocor.org/letters/2001-11-23-statement-re.html#e

      COMMUNIQUE FROM THE CHANCERY OF THE SYNOD OF BISHOPS
      OF THE RUSSIAN ORTHODOX CHURCH OUTSIDE OF RUSSIA
      REGARDING THE EVENTS OF NOVEMBER 9/22 IN MANSONVILLE

      The Synod of Bishops of the Russian Orthodox Church
      Outside of Russia declares that what lamentably
      occurred at the Holy Transfiguration Skete in
      Mansonville on November 9/22, 2001, was a direct
      violation of the directives given by the Sobor of
      Bishops for the resolution of the difficult situation
      that arose as a result of the removal from the
      premises of the Synod of the retired elder, His
      Eminence, the Most Reverend Metropolitan Vitaly by a
      group of irresponsible and openly antagonistic
      persons.

      The Sobor of Bishops during its sessions decided that
      in this matter it was necessary to act solely by
      peaceful methods, through calm and quiet conversations
      and persuasions, and absolutely not through the use of
      any type of physical force with the assistance of
      official or private police personnel.

      The Synod of Bishops has already opened an official
      inquiry into what occurred in Mansonville, with the
      goal of making clear all of the circumstances. Pending
      the conclusion of the inquiry, the Right Reverend
      Bishop Michael is relieved from the administration of
      the Canadian Diocese, and sent to reside at Holy
      Trinity Monastery in Jordanville. The temporary
      administrartion of the Canadian Diocese is delegated
      to the Most Reverend Metropolitan Laurus, in its
      Eastern part, and to the Right Reverend Kyrill, in its
      Western part.

      The Synod of Bishops declares to its flock that all of
      the right reverend archpastors of the Russian Orthodox
      Church Outside of Russia categorically condemn and
      distance themselves from all actions that use force or
      duress regarding the person of the retired
      Metropolitan Vitaly and consider them to be totally
      unacceptable.

      The Synod of Bishops hopes for the return of
      Metropolitan Vitaly, of his own free will, to the
      premises of the Synod of Bishops, where he will be
      provided with life-long care, worthy of the dignity of
      his high office, and continues to strive toward the
      healing of the schism that has been created and the
      pacification of all who have enmity.

      Bishop GABRIEL
      Secretary of the Synod
      November 10/23, 2001
    • kyracash@aol.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 24, 2001
        Out of all the terrible events occuring I still do not understand why Bishop
        Gabriel said we can't serve molebens for Metropolitan Vitaly. This is not
        love. [ _ ]

      • Matthew Williams
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 25, 2001
          On Sunday, November 25, 2001, at 12:28 AM, kyracash@... wrote:

          > Out of all the terrible events occuring I still do not understand why
          > Bishop
          > Gabriel said we can't serve molebens for Metropolitan Vitaly.  This is not
          > love.  [ _ ]

          I'm not sure what statement of Bishop Gabriel you are making reference to,
          unless it is the following (dated Oct. 16/29 2001):

          "[...] (After this communique was written, new information was received
          which confirms the bishops' worst fears. In consequence of this the
          Council of Bishops has been forced to revoke the commemoration of the name
          of Metropolitan Vitaly at the divine services.) [...]"

          This does *not* mean that we cannot serve molebens... the commemoration Bp.
          Gabriel speaks of is the "official" commemorations of the Church's
          hierarchy. It was originally intended that Vladyka Vitaly's name would
          have been commemorated at the petition "For the Orthodox Episcopate of the
          Russian Church..." together with that of Vladyka Laurus.

          In Christ,
          Matthew Williams
        • kyracash@aol.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 25, 2001
            I was at the Southern Missions Conference in November 10 and 11, 2001 where I
            asked the question to Bishop Gabriel about why we couldn't serve a moleben
            for Metropolitan Vitaly. There are conference tapes you can purchase where
            he states that molebens cannot be served for the Metropolitan. Also Father
            John Whiteford was sitting next to him at the time and can attest to this.
            If the tapes are edited by ROCOR, I have my own that I filmed.

          • Theodora
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 25, 2001
              Ok....but Why??? Was question answered?
              Theodora in the mountains

              snip

              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 25, 2001
                My question was not answered yet as to why we cannot serve a moleben
                for Metropolitan Vitaly.

                --- In orthodox-synod@y..., "Theodora" <theomtn@a...> wrote:
                > Ok....but Why??? Was question answered?
                > Theodora in the mountains
                >
                > snip
                >
                > > I was at the Southern Missions Conference in November 10 and 11,
                2001
                > where I
                > > asked the question to Bishop Gabriel about why we couldn't serve
                a moleben
                > > for Metropolitan Vitaly. There are conference tapes you can
                purchase
                > where
                > > he states that molebens cannot be served for the Metropolitan.
                > snip
              • Fr. Alexander Lebedeff
                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 26, 2001
                  Regarding:

                  >I was at the Southern Missions Conference in November 10 and 11, 2001 where I
                  >asked the question to Bishop Gabriel about why we couldn't serve a moleben
                  >for Metropolitan Vitaly.

                  So, what was his answer?

                  >There are conference tapes you can purchase where
                  >he states that molebens cannot be served for the Metropolitan. Also Father
                  >John Whiteford was sitting next to him at the time and can attest to this.
                  >If the tapes are edited by ROCOR, I have my own that I filmed.

                  Well, I was not there, but it is absolutely beyond belief that Bishop
                  Gabriel could have made such a statement.

                  Goodness gracious!

                  We are instructed by Christ to pray for **everyone**--including our enemies.

                  Praying for the revered Metropolitan, who is now, due to his frailty, being
                  manipulated by a mixed bag of defrocked, suspended, and renegade clergy,
                  who are using him to accomplish their particular agenda, should be a
                  requirement for all of us.

                  It is most likely that you misunderstood what he said.

                  I just spoke with Bishop Gabriel about this and he told me that what he was
                  talking about at the Conference was that the original plan of the Sobor of
                  Bishops was that Metropolitan Vitaly would be commemorated at the Divine
                  Services together with Metropolitan Laurus, but when the document came
                  signed by Metropolitan Vitaly that he was breaking away from all the other
                  bishops and forming his own ecclesiastical structure--of course the bishops
                  decided that it would be ludicrous to continue commemoration of
                  Metropolitan Vitaly. However, the Sobor of Bishops specifically supported
                  the commemoration of Metropolitan Vitaly at the Augmented Litany in the
                  petition for Those Who are Ailing, which is what we do at our Cathedral,
                  both at the Liturgy and at the Molieben which follows it.

                  Bishop Gabriel said that yesterday, at the Molieben before the
                  Myrrh-Streaming Icon of St. Nicholas at the Synod, petitions for "the
                  ailing Metropolitan Vitaly" were read.

                  With love in Christ,

                  Prot. Alexander Lebedeff
                • kyracash@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 8 , Nov 28, 2001
                    Father Bless! I believe I did not misunderstand about molebens being served
                    for Metropolitan Vitaly when I was the one that asked the question as to why
                    we couldn't serve moleben's for Vladika. A parishoner friend of mine asked
                    his priest to serve and was told we couldn't. That is what prompted me to
                    ask. I will be happy to send you a copy of the unedited video tape where
                    Vladika Gabriel is asked the question and he states why we cannot serve
                    molebens for Metropolitan. Then you could hear and see for yourself as to
                    how we are told we cannot. I was just as shocked to hear that as you were.
                    Maybe Bishop Gabriel forgot he said that as Metropolitan Vitaly forgets and
                    as we all do. Forgive me, if I have caused any distress. An Unworthy
                    Servant.