Re: [orthodox-synod] All these fights

  • Valentina Grigorieva
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 1, 2001
      --- fader Silas <stesu@...> wrote :
      > Dear all,
      > Why all this hatred and accusations? I've never seen
      > or heard of anything like this earlier in my life
      > (I'm 55). Not even among this "abominable" heretics
      > and apostates the Roman Catholics or anyone else for
      > that matter. Yes, I have seen it among communists,
      > but otherwise not. This makes me cry out of deepest
      > grief, sorrow and spiritual pain. When I converted
      > to Orthodoxy I expected to find some love,
      > forgiveness and understanding, not only anathemas
      > and hatred.
      Dear Father bless!
      Do not cry. Love, forgiveness and understanding are
      not OPPOSED to anathemas, but co-exist altogether in
      our Church.
      > "But I tell you that anyone who is angry with his
      > brother will be subject to judgment. Again, anyone
      > who says to his brother, `Raca,' is answerable to
      > the Sanhedrin. But anyone who says, `You fool!' will
      > be in danger of the fire of hell." (Matt. 5:22)
      When St Patriarch Tikhon anathemised the bolcheviks,
      His own words are "FOOLS" ("bezumtsy"), so you see,
      dear Father, there can be different contexts. St
      Tikhon was not acting against the teachings of the
      Holy Gospel.

      > "Above all, love each other deeply, because love
      > covers over a multitude of sins." (1 Peter 4:8)
      Of course. Love does not mean obey in order not to
      offend people. On that question of love, Matuchka
      Igumenia Iuliania perfectly answered on one of her

      > No one can deceive the Holy Spirit by saying "We
      > despise our oponents because it's in the best
      > interest of the canons and because we love the laws
      > of the Church". It is like saying "We hate because
      > we love". No person with common sense would ever
      > believe in such a contradiction.
      Again, there is not a word about HATE, as you say, in
      the text of anathema (in the service itself or in the
      words of St Patriarch Tikhon). Please try not to
      divide people into 2 groups :
      1.in favour of dialogue with MP - the good, loving
      ones
      2.in favour of the repentance of MP for their crimes
      before dialogue - the bad, hating ones.
      Just remember that in the text of the Anathema
      Service, which has been sent to me by Archbishop
      Serafim (our former Western Europe bishop, now
      retreated at Lesna convent), the anathema is still
      running againt (my translation from Russian):
      "(point 16) the persecutors of the Church of Christ,
      the impure renegades who raised their hands to the
      Lord's anointed, killing priests, trampling holy
      things underfoot, destroying God's churches, torturing
      our brothers and desecrating our homeland - anathema"
      "(point 17) on those persecuting the Church of Christ
      and (......) having relations with heretics or
      assisting/helping them, or defending their new heresy
      - ecumenism, believing it is a friendly love and the
      union of devided christians - Anathema".

      > Please, behave like Christians, not as vigilantes in
      > a dirty war.
      Exactly. Some saints responded to attacks by love,
      some by fights, they all were saints, and fought no
      the people in front of them, but the false ideas they
      were carrying. Again, these are two different
      concepts, despite some on that list trying to lead us
      on that low level.
      As Christians we have to bear our cross, and respond
      of our acts for the salvation of our souls.
      God have mercy on us!
      Valentina by the Mediterranean Sea.