Re: [orthodox-synod] Vladiko Vitaly??

  • nanogram27@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 31, 2001
      I find it very interesting that you have to go to a Moscow website to find
      out what is going on in the "free non censured" good old USA. "Free press"
      doesn't seem to work that way when it comes to the church. Another question;
      how many priests really know what has transpired, and therefore can't give
      the laity of their parishes correct information? When I came into this
      church, I thought I was leaving the RC church; that has become ecumenical to
      the extreme and has compromised itself to the point of being non-definitive.
      I joined ROCOR because I believed it held the Truth as I had studied before
      becoming Orthodox. Now, I see that there will no doubt be a division, and
      one that will come soon. Yet, so many are so unaware of what is going on!
      Depending on whose email list you are on, you can get diametrically opposed
      views of "what really happened at the Sobor." So, Nicholas, you should be
      concerned. Here is a web site for you that will answer your question. But
      this email may be censured, and you may not get to read the articles posted
      which are extremely interesting. Beware of the wolf in sheep's clothing.
      http://monasterypress.com/statements.html#Anchor-42424
      Anna
    • eledkovsky@hotmail.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 1, 2001
        Anyone with any sense who has seen Vladyka Vitaly more than once IN
        PERSON in the last 4 or 5 years knows he is not the man he once was.
        (I wonder how many of this list's vociferous posters have even seen
        him recently?) Even his great gift of oratory has been sadly but
        surely destroyed by the forces of old age; he forgets what he said
        100 seconds ago!! You don't have to be a doctor to recognize that he
        is no longer competent, and anything you see today that is in his
        name or carries his signature CANNOT BE TRUSTED. If he is so
        confused that he can't remember what he himself JUST said, then how
        can he be burdened with the complexities of running a (now) fractured
        church?! PLEASE, those of you who love ROCOR and the heritage of
        our blessed Hierarchs, Metrs. Antony, Anastassy and Filaret, PLEASE
        understand that Vladyka Vitaly cannot be accountable -- he really IS
        senile! It is heartbreaking, but true. And those who are manipulating
        him AND YOU and your love for the church are creating division and
        destruction that can only make the devil cheer!

        It is very sad, and one can understand the nostalgic feelings of
        those who want to hang onto the 'good old days' but it's JUST NOT
        REALISTIC. Vladyka Vitaly is OLD and not well. I believe that this
        was recognized by the Bishops long ago, and that the Metropolitan's
        retirement was suggested in previous years. The Synod/Sobor, in their
        wisdom, did not force the issue then... which, sadly, may have given
        the manipulators more time to organize their own agendas. Or, perhaps
        that's too strong; perhaps they, too, are just blinded by their love
        and nostalgia.

        What's presented on the web site suggested by Anna is most certainly
        NOT 'neutral' (under which jurisdiction is this 'monastery' anyway;
        what Bishop would allow such scandal-mongering publications? This is
        like the New York Post of r.o.-targetted web sites!). Some of the
        contents are of questionable taste (hearsay and talk back) and
        certainly goes against the monastic ideas of 'poslushaniye'
        (obedience) and 'smereniye' (humility), going so far as to publicly
        relate an e-mail debate with a consecrated bishop. Shameless! What's
        next, taping phone conversations?

        I am sure the hysterical fringe won't be convinced by my plea to
        understand the TRUTH about poor Met. Vitaly's condition. I
        understand, because I wish it weren't so, too. If Met. Vitaly were
        still the sharp tack, the man of iron will that he used to be, then
        we would most certainly not have witnessed this travesty. He would
        not have allowed it! Can't you see????!

        At the very least, I hope all will, as sincere Christians,
        pray for him AND Met. Lavr in these difficult times, in which only
        Satan is truly having a good time.

        In Christ's love,
        Elizabeth

        --- In orthodox-synod@y..., nanogram27@a... wrote:
        > I find it very interesting that you have to go to a Moscow website
        to find
        > out what is going on in the "free non censured" good old USA. "Free
        press"
        > doesn't seem to work that way when it comes to the church. Another
        question;
        > how many priests really know what has transpired, and therefore
        can't give
        > the laity of their parishes correct information? When I came into
        this
        > church, I thought I was leaving the RC church; that has become
        ecumenical to
        > the extreme and has compromised itself to the point of being non-
        definitive.
        >I joined ROCOR because I believed it held the Truth as I had studied
        before
        > becoming Orthodox. Now, I see that there will no doubt be a
        division, and
        > one that will come soon. Yet, so many are so unaware of what is
        going on!
        > Depending on whose email list you are on, you can get diametrically
        opposed
        > views of "what really happened at the Sobor." So, Nicholas, you
        should be
        > concerned. Here is a web site for you that will answer your
        question. But
        > this email may be censured, and you may not get to read the
        articles posted
        > which are extremely interesting. Beware of the wolf in sheep's
        clothing.
        > http://monasterypress.com/statements.html#Anchor-42424
        > Anna
      • catherine elaine sullivan
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 1, 2001
          Elizabeth- I spoke with Vladyka over the Labor Day festivities at Jordanville,
          and I must agree with you. How shameful then, than ANYONE would take advantage
          of the situation! I hope our church is not taken over by those seeking power
          or the excitement of the idea of merging with the glamorous MP (in some
          people's eyes).

          Catherine

          http://personals.yahoo.com
        • nanogram27@aol.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 1, 2001
            Dear Elizabeth and other list members,
            I apologize for my post. I was frustrated by the 'opinions' posted and let
            my passions get the best of me.
            Patience has never been one of my virtues. :-(
            Forgive me, Anna