Comparative size of ROCA and MP?

  • Lisa Smith
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 30, 2001
      Dear list members,
      I am interested in finding out the relative sizes--in terms of clergy,
      parishes, and faithful--of the ROCA and MP churches. The prospect of being
      "smothered" or "absorbed", as some people have mentioned in their posts,
      makes sense if we are only a tiny flock compared with the church in Russia.
      Of course, there are large numbers of nominal Orthodox there that would be
      counted, but perhaps someone can clarify this question for me? Thanks in
      advance.

      --Lisa
    • Diane
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 31, 2001
        What??????? I think the size of the "flock" is irrelevant. And what is meant by "nominal orthodox".

        I am interested in finding out the relative sizes--in terms of clergy,
        parishes, and faithful--of the ROCA and MP churches. The prospect of being
        "smothered" or "absorbed", as some people have mentioned in their posts,
        makes sense if we are only a tiny flock compared with the church in Russia.
        Of course, there are large numbers of nominal Orthodox there that would be
        counted, but perhaps someone can clarify this question for me? Thanks in
        advance.

        --Lisa

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • mwoerl@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 1, 2001
          The MP claims abouy 50 or 60 million adherents; I don't know about
          clergy, but think they have soome 70 or 80 Hierarchs. The ROCOR has
          just shy of 20 Hierarchs; I've heard different figures on laity-from
          75,000 to 1/2 a million-none of these figures from the ROCOR, however.
          In the current debates over 'dialogue and union,' however, these
          figures mean nothing.
          mwoerl