Re: What does “dialogue” really mean?

  • klandsberg@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 30, 2001
      Thanks for the reply. I, too, heard this criticism of the service,
      so I made a point of paying really close attention to it this year,
      and discovered that I completely disagreed with the assessment.
      Though it is syntactically complex, I found it to be accessible,
      profound, thought-provoking, and awe-inspiring.

      That is, of course, just my humble opinion.

      --- In orthodox-synod@y..., eledkovsky@h... wrote:
      > A worthless comment about a minor point made within this
      articulation
      > of the complex issues that our Bishops are surely pondering (we can
      > only humbly pray for the Holy Spirit to guide them in wisdom).
      >

      > RE:
      > --- In orthodox-synod@y..., klandsberg@y... wrote:
      > The MP could have demonstrated their desire for
      > > prayerful communion with us by ensuring that our saints are
      > venerated
      > > in like ways (perhaps they could have even used our beautifully-
      > > written service to the Royal Martyrs
      >

      > ...I have heard several people who are very knowledgeable of Church
      > Slavonic crticize this particular service as verbose and
      > syntactically awkward, and thus not really "beautifully-written"
      > (with all due respect to the author, reposed Archbishop Anthony).
      >
      > Forgive the quibble, but I mention it because it is too easy to
      > pretend that our beloved Church, on its "we took the high road"
      > course, is exemplary in all things and in all ways.
      >
      > It is also too easy to paint MP as 'bad guys'. In my limited
      > experience, there are many good people and (gasp!) some really
      > wonderful clergy members serving God and people under the MP's
      > mantel.
      >
      > We must continue to pray for peace and to love one another.
      >
      > In Christ,
      > E.
    • Kiril Bart
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 30, 2001
        Thank you for a really thaugthful posting, we
        deffinately has a lack of them lately.
        Subdeacon Kirill

        === message truncated ===

        http://personals.yahoo.com
      • valichka@wanadoo.fr
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 30, 2001
          Having studied Church Slavonic at Jordanville, i can imagnie how
          extremely difficult it must have been to even find a sole person to
          write such a service nowadays.
          The purists criticising that service will not prevent those
          venerating the Royal Martyrs and all the New Russian Martyrs to find
          it nevertheless beautifully written, because beauty in Church is not
          a question of syntax, but a comprehension of the heart and the soul,
          no matter what syntax errors were made in Church Slavonic.
          Vechnaya pamiat Vl Antoniu!
          Valentina by the Mediterranean Sea
          ps : i don't see really the relation between that question and the
          good and bad people in MP (or in ROCOR, or Catholics, or Protestants,
          or Jews, or Muslims, etc...). Peace, love... flowers in the hair and
          marijuana like in the good old 70ies?

          --- In orthodox-synod@y..., klandsberg@y... wrote:
          > Thanks for the reply. I, too, heard this criticism of the service,
          > so I made a point of paying really close attention to it this year,
          > and discovered that I completely disagreed with the assessment.
          > Though it is syntactically complex, I found it to be accessible,
          > profound, thought-provoking, and awe-inspiring.
          > That is, of course, just my humble opinion.
          >
          > --- In orthodox-synod@y..., eledkovsky@h... wrote:
          > > A worthless comment about a minor point made within this
          > articulation
          > > of the complex issues that our Bishops are surely pondering (we
          can
          > > only humbly pray for the Holy Spirit to guide them in wisdom).
          > >
          > > RE:
          > > --- In orthodox-synod@y..., klandsberg@y... wrote:
          > > The MP could have demonstrated their desire for
          > > > prayerful communion with us by ensuring that our saints are
          > > venerated
          > > > in like ways (perhaps they could have even used our beautifully-
          > > > written service to the Royal Martyrs
          > >
          > > ...I have heard several people who are very knowledgeable of
          Church
          > > Slavonic crticize this particular service as verbose and
          > > syntactically awkward, and thus not really "beautifully-written"
          > > (with all due respect to the author, reposed Archbishop Anthony).
          > > Forgive the quibble, but I mention it because it is too easy to
          > > pretend that our beloved Church, on its "we took the high road"
          > > course, is exemplary in all things and in all ways.
          > > It is also too easy to paint MP as 'bad guys'. In my limited
          > > experience, there are many good people and (gasp!) some really
          > > wonderful clergy members serving God and people under the MP's
          > > mantel.
          > > We must continue to pray for peace and to love one another.
          > > In Christ,
          > > E.
        • Igumeniya Iulianiya
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 30, 2001
            klandsberg@... wrote:
            >" On these Internet mailing lists and elsewhere, we
            > repeatedly hear the
            > claim that the time has come for "dialogue" between
            > Zarubezhnaya
            > Tserkov (Z.Ts.) and the Moscow Patriarchate (MP)."

            I have a few questions about this belaboured subject
            of "DIALOGUE".
            The organization in Moscow which claims to be a church
            does not seem familiar with churchly terms (or
            anything else in Orthodoxy!)
            It is surely no news to any of the bishops involved in
            this sad SOBOR that since the Council of 1917-1918
            under Saint Patriarch Tikhon the corrupted and
            apostate church in Moscow has been and still is under
            Anathema, which can be removed ONLY by the Russian
            Orthodox Church which still remains faithful to
            Christ. The Anathema means among other restrictions
            that faithful Orthodox Christians MAY NOT HAVE ANY
            CONTACT OR DEALINGS WITH EITHER THE COMMUNIST SOVIETS
            OR THAT PART OF THE ORTHODOX CHURCH WHICH UNITED
            ITSELF WITH THE SOVIETS AND THUS LEFT THE TRUE CHURCH
            PERMANENTLY. This false "church".. the "M.P". has no
            claim whatsoever on any Orthodox person or Church in
            any place, nor any claim on property which is still
            kept safe by the Russian Orthodox Church whose
            headquarters are in New York City. Every one of the
            past Metropolitans of the Russian Orthodox Church in
            Exile, as well as the present Metropolitan Vitaly has
            faithfully observed the Anathema and refused any
            correspondence or contact with the apostates.
            How then does anyone in the Russian Orthodox Church
            think and speak of a DIALOGUE with a "church" which
            simply does nor exist?
            The only similar dialogue which comes to mind is the
            one which Mother Eve conducted with the serpent. And
            we know how that one turned out, don't we?
            If we truly love ANYONE, a person or a church, we will
            treasure their immortal soul and do all in our power
            to help them avoid eternal death. We will scorn their
            lies and cling to the truth, thus showing them the
            way; we will pity them for their blindness and
            stupidity and we will remain steadfastly on the road
            of Faith in Jesus Christ and we will suffer and even
            accept death if necessary to give the example they
            must follow. Let it not be said at the Judgment that
            we failed to save them, at least by our own example.
            If you love them, in the Name of the Lord Jesus
            Christ, DO NOT JOIN THEM!
            sinful Abbjuliana

            === message truncated ===

            http://personals.yahoo.com