Re: [orthodox-synod] Jordanville

  • Joachim Wertz
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 29, 2001
      Dear Nicholas,
      I disagree. The Serbian Patriarch's title reflects historical circumstances.
      As "Archbishop of Pec" the Serbian Patriarch is in fact head of what we
      might call the "stavropigial" Monastery of Pec. Originally the Serbian
      Patriarch was the bishop of a then Pec diocese. When the Serbs moved into
      Hungarian lands, the Patriarch with them, new dioceses where created there
      (in what was then Hungary) and eventually the Patriarch's diocese came to be
      that of Sremski Karlovci. Later with the liberation of much of Serbia from
      the Ottoman yoke, including Belgrade, that diocese came to be known as the
      Metropolia of Belgrade-Karlovci, and so it remains today. The monastery at
      Pec ("Pec Patriarachate") eventually fell within the geographical bounds of
      the Diocese of Rasko-Prizren, the monastery itself remaining under the
      jurisdiction of the Patriarchate. But even the Patriarchate of
      Sremski-Karlovci( the physical campus in Sremski-Karlovci including the
      Patriararchal residence, the seminary and the Cathedral [?]) is
      stavropigial, surrounded by the Diocese of Srem. So you can see that the
      situation with Metr. Vitaly is not a parallel situation. In the latter case,
      the Archdiocese of Canada is not integrally a part of the jurisdiction or
      title of the First Hierarch of the Russian Church Abroad. Neither is the
      Diocese of Syracuse-Holy Trinity. I hope these sees will be appropriately
      filled.
      As to your second example, I am not that sure what Metr. Theodosius' title
      is exactly, but I will trust your word. I would assume that the Archdiocese
      of Washington is a Metropolia (seemingly somewhat resembling the Serbian
      sense of the term) where various ruling diocesan bishops are united in a
      metropolia under a metropolitan who is their "president", or first among
      equals. For example as is the case in the North American Serbian Church with
      Metropolitan Christopher and the other RULING diocesan bishops. Such a
      situation does NOT imply that the OCA Metropolitan holds a plurality of
      diocesan sees. Note that the OCA Metropolitan is no longer bishop of New
      York, the see of the previous "Metropolia" metropolitans.
      I hope I have explained myself better.
      In Christ,
      Joachim Wertz

      ----------
      From: for4z@...
      To: <orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: Re: [orthodox-synod] Jordanville
      Date: Mon, Oct 29, 2001, 5:38 AM

      In a message dated Sun, 28 Oct 2001 10:58:26 PM Eastern Standard Time,
      "Joachim Wertz" <wertz@...> writes:

      > Good point, Peter. As it seems Metr. Vitaly never relinguished Canada. Such
      > a situation presents a canonical anomaly, giving ammunition to the foes of
      > ROCOR.
      >
      > In Christ,
      > Joachim

      Dear Joachim,
      The fact that Metropolitan Vitaly remained the Archbishop of Montreal and
      Canada during his tenure as the Metropolitan of New York, CANNOT be seen as
      something scandolous or as "ammunition", as you put it, against the Russian
      Church Abroad. Other Local Orthodox Churches have similar situations. For
      example, the full title of the Serbian Patriarch is: "Archbishop of Pec,
      Metropolitan of Belgrade-Karlovi AND Serbian Patriarch." Such an example is
      also seen within the OCA Metropolia; Metropolitan Theodosius' full title is:
      "Archbishop of Washington, Metropolitan of All America and Canada".

      -Nicholas Zaharov

      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ADVERTISEMENT

      <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .