ROCOR in Kansas City

  • niconar20@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 26, 2001
      Yes, its unfortunate that there is no ROCOR parish in the Kansas City
      area. I heard that there was a large Russian presence building up in
      the area, but so far, I have heard nothing as to the building of a
      Church here. For now, I attend St. George Serbian Orthodox Church
      whenever I am able to. This parish is located in Kansas City Kansas,
      they preserve the Old calender, Church Slavonic, and old country
      customs and traditions. They are preparing to build a new parish that
      will be closer to were I presently live (Leavenworth). This is very
      good for me since then I will be able to attend church more often.
      There is also a smaller serbian Church, St. Michaels, but I have
      never actually been to services there. They were formed originaly as
      a breakaway parish under the free serbian diocese of America but are
      now reunited with the Mother church in Belgrade.
      I hear that there are two ROCOR parishes in St. Louis. Does one of
      them offer services in Church Slavonic, and if so, which? I would
      prefer to attend a parish that has a certain Russian flavor to it. It
      was always a great tragedy for me that the ROCOR never had a parish
      out here in KC. I pray for some Russians to emigrate to this area so
      we can have a nice big parish with beautiful singing like in the old
      country. I don't plan to live around here forever but would still
      like to see the groundwork laid for such a Church. Until then, Ill
      just have to make do with the Serbs who are sort of like Russians
      anyway. But I still miss Russian churches with all there piety and
      singing. In Christ Nikolai