Shameless Plug: ReadIRIS OCR

  • Fr. Alexander Lebedeff
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 10, 2001
      Just wanted to share with listmembers a fantastic multi-lingual OCR program
      called ReadIRIS 7.0, which I just bought ($49.00 until Oct. 19--usually
      $149.00).

      This program is able to do a great job in reading 93 languages, including
      Russian, Serbian, Greek. It is also able to read mixed language pages--like
      Russian-English or Greek-English on the same page. It does a good job of
      maintaining page format, and has neat "learn mode" that lets you teach it
      the peculiarities of the particular fonts you are using. Once taught, it
      will use what it learned for all pages of the document. And you can save
      the "learned" dictionary to use it later with another document of the same
      type.

      I used the "learn mode" to teach the program to read Old Orthography
      Russian texts. The program has no problem reading hard signs and "i's with
      a dot" and even "izhitsa's" which it recognizes as English "v's"
      --remember, it handles both Russian and English characters on the same
      page--but the "yat's" had to be handled differently. I "trained" the
      program to read all "yat's" as the English letter "t". Once it finishes the
      recognition of the page, the program automatically starts up Word and
      creates a document there. I then did a global change of all "t's" to
      "yat's"-- and ta-da! -- a scanned Old Orthography document.

      The same simple process can be done for "thetas" (the learn mode asks you
      what character you want to use when an unknown character appears). I made
      them an English "f" and then global changed them.

      Not long ago, a Russian OCR program that worked for Russian alone cost over
      $400, with far fewer features.

      Anyway, for $49 you can't go wrong.

      To read about the product, you can go to:

      http://www.irislink.com/opt/uk/products/readiris/pc/index.html

      But to order, use the following link, otherwise you'll have to pay $99.00.

      http://shop.irislink.com/us/version.asp?catId=2

      P.S. Asian language and Arabic language support can be purchased as
      additional options for an additional charge.

      With love in Christ,

      Prot. Alexander Lebedeff
    • intrprtr@prodigy.net
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 10, 2001
        Dear Fr. Alexander:

        At 01:27 PM 10-10-01 -0700, you wrote:

        >Just wanted to share with listmembers a fantastic multi-lingual OCR
        >program called ReadIRIS 7.0, which I just bought ($49.00 until Oct.
        >19--usually $149.00).

        Pray tell, just WHERE on the website did you find such a price? And WHERE
        is there any mention of a DATE of any kind? Certainly not on any of the
        site's pages that I was able to access....

        >{SNIP}
        > Not long
        > ago, a Russian OCR program that worked for Russian alone cost over $400,
        > with far fewer features.
        >
        >Anyway, for $49 you can't go wrong.

        Again, WHERE on the website did you find such a price?

        >To read about the product, you can go to:
        >
        ><http://www.irislink.com/opt/uk/products/readiris/pc/index.html>http://www.irislink.com/opt/uk/products/readiris/pc/index.html

        I did that...

        >But to order, use the following link, otherwise you'll have to pay $99.00.
        >
        ><http://shop.irislink.com/us/version.asp?catId=2>http://shop.irislink.com/us/version.asp?catId=2

        I did that, and they STILL charge $99.00 (that's NINETY-NINE dollars)....
        And that's the SALE price listed there.... There is NO mention anywhere,
        whatsoever, of a $49.00 price... I certainly would appreciate being
        provided with any information to the contrary, as one of the times that I
        attempted accessing the site today, they even wanted $153.00 for the
        programme in question....

        >{SNIP}

        --GeoS
      • Valentina Grigorieva
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 11, 2001
          --- intrprtr@... a écrit : >
          > Dear Fr. Alexander:
          > At 01:27 PM 10-10-01 -0700, you wrote:
          > >Just wanted to share with listmembers a fantastic
          > multi-lingual OCR
          > >program called ReadIRIS 7.0, which I just bought
          > ($49.00 until Oct.
          > >19--usually $149.00).
          >
          >>to order, use the following link, otherwise
          > you'll have to pay $99.00.
          >
          ><http://shop.irislink.com/us/version.asp?catId=2>http://shop.irislink.com/us/version.asp?catId=2
          >
          > I did that, and they STILL charge $99.00 (that's
          > NINETY-NINE dollars)....
          > And that's the SALE price listed there.... There is
          > NO mention anywhere,
          > whatsoever, of a $49.00 price... I certainly would
          > appreciate being
          > provided with any information to the contrary, as
          > one of the times that I
          > attempted accessing the site today, they even wanted
          > $153.00 for the
          > programme in question....
          >
          > >{SNIP}

          I tried also from France, and was proposed a special
          price of 153.69 euros (instead of 190 euros), which
          represent approx. 140 usd (instead of 180 usd).
          Sorry to have missed the sale of the day...
          Valentina by the Mediterranean Sea

          Un nouveau Nokia Game commence.
          Allez sur http://fr.yahoo.com/nokiagame avant le 3 novembre
          pour participer à cette aventure tous médias.