Re: [orthodox-synod] Re: NB: FWD: St Nephon Topic

  • The Stephens
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 7, 2001
      Dear Friends:

      I think we are confusing some things. Language is neither Christian nor
      Moslem, nor Greek nor Latin, nor Russian nor English. I have dear friends
      who are priests in the Antiochian Orthodox Church. Those who are of Ababic
      ancestry--WHO ARE CHRISTIANS--if using Arabic in the Divine Services clearly
      refer to God as Allah--that's just the Arabic word for "God"--not Moslem.
      So, if we visit the Holy Land, what difference does it make whether we refer
      to ourselves using an Arabic word (hadji) or an English word
      (pilgrim)--neither is Christian but either can be applied to a Christian who
      has visited the Holy Land. I would say that in the English translation of
      the book "The Way of a Pilgrim", the word "pilgrim" was used--but in the
      Russian original surely the Russian word was used. Which is more Christian,
      the English word or the Russian word? Of course this gets rediculous and
      pedantic if carried any further.

      I sorrow for the many, many innocent people who speak the Arabic
      language--some of whom are Orthodox Christians--who are mistakenly thought
      of as the enemies of Christianity.

      Sincerely in Christ our GOOD VICTORY!
      Fr. Seraphim Stephens, neither hadji nor pilgrim, just Southern!

      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 9, 2001
        THanks, Father for this. I am concerned that some on these Orthodox lists seem
        to be trying to stir up hatred for all things Muslim in the guise of
        "information." While I do think it behooves us to be more informed, it is very
        easy to go over the line and in reality be promoting hatred. I hope this deos
        not happen among Orthodox Christians.

        =====
        Catherine