Re: [orthodox-synod] Re: NB: FWD: St Nephon Topic

  • tfisher888@aol.com
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 7, 2001
      Furthermore, there is a traditional Christian term for this (someone who
      has been to the holy sites in the Holy Land): PILGRIM
      Timothy Fisher, Reader and Pilgrim

    • The Stephens
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 7, 2001
        Dear Friends:

        I think we are confusing some things. Language is neither Christian nor
        Moslem, nor Greek nor Latin, nor Russian nor English. I have dear friends
        who are priests in the Antiochian Orthodox Church. Those who are of Ababic
        ancestry--WHO ARE CHRISTIANS--if using Arabic in the Divine Services clearly
        refer to God as Allah--that's just the Arabic word for "God"--not Moslem.
        So, if we visit the Holy Land, what difference does it make whether we refer
        to ourselves using an Arabic word (hadji) or an English word
        (pilgrim)--neither is Christian but either can be applied to a Christian who
        has visited the Holy Land. I would say that in the English translation of
        the book "The Way of a Pilgrim", the word "pilgrim" was used--but in the
        Russian original surely the Russian word was used. Which is more Christian,
        the English word or the Russian word? Of course this gets rediculous and
        pedantic if carried any further.

        I sorrow for the many, many innocent people who speak the Arabic
        language--some of whom are Orthodox Christians--who are mistakenly thought
        of as the enemies of Christianity.

        Sincerely in Christ our GOOD VICTORY!
        Fr. Seraphim Stephens, neither hadji nor pilgrim, just Southern!

        > Furthermore, there is a traditional Christian term for this (someone
        who
        > has been to the holy sites in the Holy Land): PILGRIM
        > Timothy Fisher, Reader and Pilgrim

      • catherine elaine sullivan
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 9, 2001
          THanks, Father for this. I am concerned that some on these Orthodox lists seem
          to be trying to stir up hatred for all things Muslim in the guise of
          "information." While I do think it behooves us to be more informed, it is very
          easy to go over the line and in reality be promoting hatred. I hope this deos
          not happen among Orthodox Christians.

          =====
          Catherine