Re: NB: FWD: St Nephon Topic

  • StefanVPavlenko@netscape.net
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 6, 2001
      The below is not complete!
      The title "Hadji" denotes anyone who has been to JERUSALEM on a
      religious pilgrimage. This title, in olden times, was added to the
      name of anyone who returned home from the Holy Land.

      After comeing back from Jerusalem I have the right to sign my name:

      Archpriest Stefan Hadji Pavlenko or

      Archpriest Hadji Stefan

      Hadji is a Arabic word (a title)not a Mohamidan word!

      --- In orthodox-synod@y..., "Nicolas de Brevern" <nbrevern@c...>
      wrote:
      > to Rev Mark Gikstrap
      > Father, by my investigation by internet (motor Copernic and other)
      from
      > France, were I live, I find this one:
      > Serbian orthodox community in NYC
      > Brotherhood of st Nephon
      > Hadji Igor Reljic
      > NYC
      > maybe You bow this "brother"
      > hadji is a title for who makes a pilgrim to the muslim holy place
      and can
      > put white suit after.
      > curious!
      > S Bogom!

      MONTH
      > first it was found missing and after searching the monastery and
      whole area
      > they found her standing on the seashore outside of monastery then
      they
      > brought her back and kept whole thing secret but next day same thing
      > happen......tradition said when icon leaves protection of mother of
      God will
      > leave and apparently first spiritual and then actual destruction of
      holy
      > mount will follow so when those monks who are couscous see that
      icon left,
      > should leave the holy mount so the all this evil that will follow
      would not
      > befall them this was first time that suchh thing occured
      > who have ears let him hear.....
      > br igor
      > brotherhood of St Nephon

      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
    • David Stavro
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 6, 2001
        Dear Archpriest Hadji Stefan:

        Pardon me to contradict your assumption. Hadji is a
        100% Islamic terminology. This Mohamedan terminology
        is to describe the act of Hadj to Mecca. It is a
        Turkish influence :):):)

        Agape,

        Stavro-2.

        http://geocities.yahoo.com/ps/info1
      • tfisher888@aol.com
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 7, 2001
          Furthermore, there is a traditional Christian term for this (someone who
          has been to the holy sites in the Holy Land): PILGRIM
          Timothy Fisher, Reader and Pilgrim

        • The Stephens
          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 7, 2001
            Dear Friends:

            I think we are confusing some things. Language is neither Christian nor
            Moslem, nor Greek nor Latin, nor Russian nor English. I have dear friends
            who are priests in the Antiochian Orthodox Church. Those who are of Ababic
            ancestry--WHO ARE CHRISTIANS--if using Arabic in the Divine Services clearly
            refer to God as Allah--that's just the Arabic word for "God"--not Moslem.
            So, if we visit the Holy Land, what difference does it make whether we refer
            to ourselves using an Arabic word (hadji) or an English word
            (pilgrim)--neither is Christian but either can be applied to a Christian who
            has visited the Holy Land. I would say that in the English translation of
            the book "The Way of a Pilgrim", the word "pilgrim" was used--but in the
            Russian original surely the Russian word was used. Which is more Christian,
            the English word or the Russian word? Of course this gets rediculous and
            pedantic if carried any further.

            I sorrow for the many, many innocent people who speak the Arabic
            language--some of whom are Orthodox Christians--who are mistakenly thought
            of as the enemies of Christianity.

            Sincerely in Christ our GOOD VICTORY!
            Fr. Seraphim Stephens, neither hadji nor pilgrim, just Southern!

            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 9, 2001
              THanks, Father for this. I am concerned that some on these Orthodox lists seem
              to be trying to stir up hatred for all things Muslim in the guise of
              "information." While I do think it behooves us to be more informed, it is very
              easy to go over the line and in reality be promoting hatred. I hope this deos
              not happen among Orthodox Christians.

              =====
              Catherine