Re: NB: FWD: St Nephon Topic

  • E.Xenia T. Mcdermott
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 4, 2001
      I think perhaps the person who wrote it meant to write "cautious".

      --- In orthodox-synod@y..., "Natasha Mulligan" <natashinka@p...>

      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
    • Nicolas de Brevern
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 6, 2001
        to Rev Mark Gikstrap
        Father, by my investigation by internet (motor Copernic and other) from
        France, were I live, I find this one:
        Serbian orthodox community in NYC
        Brotherhood of st Nephon
        Hadji Igor Reljic
        NYC
        maybe You bow this "brother"
        hadji is a title for who makes a pilgrim to the muslim holy place and can
        put white suit after.
        curious!
        S Bogom!

      • StefanVPavlenko@netscape.net
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 6, 2001
          The below is not complete!
          The title "Hadji" denotes anyone who has been to JERUSALEM on a
          religious pilgrimage. This title, in olden times, was added to the
          name of anyone who returned home from the Holy Land.

          After comeing back from Jerusalem I have the right to sign my name:

          Archpriest Stefan Hadji Pavlenko or

          Archpriest Hadji Stefan

          Hadji is a Arabic word (a title)not a Mohamidan word!

          --- In orthodox-synod@y..., "Nicolas de Brevern" <nbrevern@c...>

        • David Stavro
          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 6, 2001
            Dear Archpriest Hadji Stefan:

            Pardon me to contradict your assumption. Hadji is a
            100% Islamic terminology. This Mohamedan terminology
            is to describe the act of Hadj to Mecca. It is a
            Turkish influence :):):)

            Agape,

            Stavro-2.

          • tfisher888@aol.com
            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 7, 2001
              Furthermore, there is a traditional Christian term for this (someone who
              has been to the holy sites in the Holy Land): PILGRIM
              Timothy Fisher, Reader and Pilgrim

            • The Stephens
              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 7, 2001
                Dear Friends:

                I think we are confusing some things. Language is neither Christian nor
                Moslem, nor Greek nor Latin, nor Russian nor English. I have dear friends
                who are priests in the Antiochian Orthodox Church. Those who are of Ababic
                ancestry--WHO ARE CHRISTIANS--if using Arabic in the Divine Services clearly
                refer to God as Allah--that's just the Arabic word for "God"--not Moslem.
                So, if we visit the Holy Land, what difference does it make whether we refer
                to ourselves using an Arabic word (hadji) or an English word
                (pilgrim)--neither is Christian but either can be applied to a Christian who
                has visited the Holy Land. I would say that in the English translation of
                the book "The Way of a Pilgrim", the word "pilgrim" was used--but in the
                Russian original surely the Russian word was used. Which is more Christian,
                the English word or the Russian word? Of course this gets rediculous and
                pedantic if carried any further.

                I sorrow for the many, many innocent people who speak the Arabic
                language--some of whom are Orthodox Christians--who are mistakenly thought
                of as the enemies of Christianity.

                Sincerely in Christ our GOOD VICTORY!
                Fr. Seraphim Stephens, neither hadji nor pilgrim, just Southern!

                > Furthermore, there is a traditional Christian term for this (someone
                who
                > has been to the holy sites in the Holy Land): PILGRIM
                > Timothy Fisher, Reader and Pilgrim

              • catherine elaine sullivan
                Message 7 of 12 , Oct 9, 2001
                  THanks, Father for this. I am concerned that some on these Orthodox lists seem
                  to be trying to stir up hatred for all things Muslim in the guise of
                  "information." While I do think it behooves us to be more informed, it is very
                  easy to go over the line and in reality be promoting hatred. I hope this deos
                  not happen among Orthodox Christians.

                  =====
                  Catherine