Re: [orthodox-synod] NB: FWD: St Nephon Topic

  • VRev Christopher Calin
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 4, 2001
      The source is most unreliable.

      The Very Reverend Igumen Christopher (Calin), Dean
      Russian Orthodox Cathedral of the Holy Virgin Protection
      New York City
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 4, 2001
        I think perhaps the person who wrote it meant to write "cautious".

        --- In orthodox-synod@y..., "Natasha Mulligan" <natashinka@p...>

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
      • Nicolas de Brevern
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 6, 2001
          to Rev Mark Gikstrap
          Father, by my investigation by internet (motor Copernic and other) from
          France, were I live, I find this one:
          Serbian orthodox community in NYC
          Brotherhood of st Nephon
          Hadji Igor Reljic
          NYC
          maybe You bow this "brother"
          hadji is a title for who makes a pilgrim to the muslim holy place and can
          put white suit after.
          curious!
          S Bogom!

        • StefanVPavlenko@netscape.net
          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 6, 2001
            The below is not complete!
            The title "Hadji" denotes anyone who has been to JERUSALEM on a
            religious pilgrimage. This title, in olden times, was added to the
            name of anyone who returned home from the Holy Land.

            After comeing back from Jerusalem I have the right to sign my name:

            Archpriest Stefan Hadji Pavlenko or

            Archpriest Hadji Stefan

            Hadji is a Arabic word (a title)not a Mohamidan word!

            --- In orthodox-synod@y..., "Nicolas de Brevern" <nbrevern@c...>

          • David Stavro
            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 6, 2001
              Dear Archpriest Hadji Stefan:

              Pardon me to contradict your assumption. Hadji is a
              100% Islamic terminology. This Mohamedan terminology
              is to describe the act of Hadj to Mecca. It is a
              Turkish influence :):):)

              Agape,

              Stavro-2.

            • tfisher888@aol.com
              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 7, 2001
                Furthermore, there is a traditional Christian term for this (someone who
                has been to the holy sites in the Holy Land): PILGRIM
                Timothy Fisher, Reader and Pilgrim

              • The Stephens
                Message 7 of 12 , Oct 7, 2001
                  Dear Friends:

                  I think we are confusing some things. Language is neither Christian nor
                  Moslem, nor Greek nor Latin, nor Russian nor English. I have dear friends
                  who are priests in the Antiochian Orthodox Church. Those who are of Ababic
                  ancestry--WHO ARE CHRISTIANS--if using Arabic in the Divine Services clearly
                  refer to God as Allah--that's just the Arabic word for "God"--not Moslem.
                  So, if we visit the Holy Land, what difference does it make whether we refer
                  to ourselves using an Arabic word (hadji) or an English word
                  (pilgrim)--neither is Christian but either can be applied to a Christian who
                  has visited the Holy Land. I would say that in the English translation of
                  the book "The Way of a Pilgrim", the word "pilgrim" was used--but in the
                  Russian original surely the Russian word was used. Which is more Christian,
                  the English word or the Russian word? Of course this gets rediculous and
                  pedantic if carried any further.

                  I sorrow for the many, many innocent people who speak the Arabic
                  language--some of whom are Orthodox Christians--who are mistakenly thought
                  of as the enemies of Christianity.

                  Sincerely in Christ our GOOD VICTORY!
                  Fr. Seraphim Stephens, neither hadji nor pilgrim, just Southern!

                  Message 8 of 12 , Oct 9, 2001
                    THanks, Father for this. I am concerned that some on these Orthodox lists seem
                    to be trying to stir up hatred for all things Muslim in the guise of
                    "information." While I do think it behooves us to be more informed, it is very
                    easy to go over the line and in reality be promoting hatred. I hope this deos
                    not happen among Orthodox Christians.

                    =====
                    Catherine