RE: [orthodox-synod] NB: FWD: St Nephon Topic

  • Natasha Mulligan
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 4, 2001
      Does "couscous" mean something other than a Middle Eastern food in this
      context?

      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 4, 2001
        The source is most unreliable.

        The Very Reverend Igumen Christopher (Calin), Dean
        Russian Orthodox Cathedral of the Holy Virgin Protection
        New York City
        Does "couscous" mean something other than a Middle Eastern food in this
        context?

        One of my friends emailed me this same message about a
        month and a half ago. He didn't know how reliable the
        source was . . .

        Theodora Petrovsky
        St. Vladimir Memorial Church
        Jackson, NJ USA
        > (unofficially) we hear very disturbing news that
        > icon of most holy mother of
        > God of IVERON guardian of the Holy Mount TWICE
        > DISAPPEARED IN LAST MONTH
        > first it was found missing and after searching the
        > monastery and whole area
        > they found her standing on the seashore outside of
        > monastery then they
        > brought her back and kept whole thing secret but
        > next day same thing
        > happen......tradition said when icon leaves
        > protection of mother of God will
        > leave and apparently first spiritual and then actual
        > destruction of holy
        > mount will follow so when those monks who are
        > couscous see that icon left,
        > should leave the holy mount so the all this evil
        > that will follow would not
        > befall them this was first time that suchh thing
        > occured
        > who have ears let him hear.....
        > br igor
        > brotherhood of St Nephon

        NEW from Yahoo! GeoCities - quick and easy web site hosting, just
        $8.95/month.
        http://geocities.yahoo.com/ps/info1

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • E.Xenia T. Mcdermott
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 4, 2001
          I think perhaps the person who wrote it meant to write "cautious".

          --- In orthodox-synod@y..., "Natasha Mulligan" <natashinka@p...>

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
        • Nicolas de Brevern
          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 6, 2001
            to Rev Mark Gikstrap
            Father, by my investigation by internet (motor Copernic and other) from
            France, were I live, I find this one:
            Serbian orthodox community in NYC
            Brotherhood of st Nephon
            Hadji Igor Reljic
            NYC
            maybe You bow this "brother"
            hadji is a title for who makes a pilgrim to the muslim holy place and can
            put white suit after.
            curious!
            S Bogom!

          • StefanVPavlenko@netscape.net
            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 6, 2001
              The below is not complete!
              The title "Hadji" denotes anyone who has been to JERUSALEM on a
              religious pilgrimage. This title, in olden times, was added to the
              name of anyone who returned home from the Holy Land.

              After comeing back from Jerusalem I have the right to sign my name:

              Archpriest Stefan Hadji Pavlenko or

              Archpriest Hadji Stefan

              Hadji is a Arabic word (a title)not a Mohamidan word!

              --- In orthodox-synod@y..., "Nicolas de Brevern" <nbrevern@c...>

            • David Stavro
              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 6, 2001
                Dear Archpriest Hadji Stefan:

                Pardon me to contradict your assumption. Hadji is a
                100% Islamic terminology. This Mohamedan terminology
                is to describe the act of Hadj to Mecca. It is a
                Turkish influence :):):)

                Agape,

                Stavro-2.

              • tfisher888@aol.com
                Message 7 of 12 , Oct 7, 2001
                  Furthermore, there is a traditional Christian term for this (someone who
                  has been to the holy sites in the Holy Land): PILGRIM
                  Timothy Fisher, Reader and Pilgrim

                • The Stephens
                  Message 8 of 12 , Oct 7, 2001
                    Dear Friends:

                    I think we are confusing some things. Language is neither Christian nor
                    Moslem, nor Greek nor Latin, nor Russian nor English. I have dear friends
                    who are priests in the Antiochian Orthodox Church. Those who are of Ababic
                    ancestry--WHO ARE CHRISTIANS--if using Arabic in the Divine Services clearly
                    refer to God as Allah--that's just the Arabic word for "God"--not Moslem.
                    So, if we visit the Holy Land, what difference does it make whether we refer
                    to ourselves using an Arabic word (hadji) or an English word
                    (pilgrim)--neither is Christian but either can be applied to a Christian who
                    has visited the Holy Land. I would say that in the English translation of
                    the book "The Way of a Pilgrim", the word "pilgrim" was used--but in the
                    Russian original surely the Russian word was used. Which is more Christian,
                    the English word or the Russian word? Of course this gets rediculous and
                    pedantic if carried any further.

                    I sorrow for the many, many innocent people who speak the Arabic
                    language--some of whom are Orthodox Christians--who are mistakenly thought
                    of as the enemies of Christianity.

                    Sincerely in Christ our GOOD VICTORY!
                    Fr. Seraphim Stephens, neither hadji nor pilgrim, just Southern!

                    Message 9 of 12 , Oct 9, 2001
                      THanks, Father for this. I am concerned that some on these Orthodox lists seem
                      to be trying to stir up hatred for all things Muslim in the guise of
                      "information." While I do think it behooves us to be more informed, it is very
                      easy to go over the line and in reality be promoting hatred. I hope this deos
                      not happen among Orthodox Christians.

                      =====
                      Catherine