Re: [orthodox-synod] NB: FWD: St Nephon Topic

  • Theodora Petrovsky
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 4, 2001
      One of my friends emailed me this same message about a
      month and a half ago. He didn't know how reliable the
      source was . . .

      Theodora Petrovsky
      St. Vladimir Memorial Church
      Jackson, NJ USA
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 4, 2001
        Does "couscous" mean something other than a Middle Eastern food in this
        context?

        One of my friends emailed me this same message about a
        month and a half ago. He didn't know how reliable the
        source was . . .

        Theodora Petrovsky
        St. Vladimir Memorial Church
        Jackson, NJ USA
        > (unofficially) we hear very disturbing news that
        > icon of most holy mother of
        > God of IVERON guardian of the Holy Mount TWICE
        > DISAPPEARED IN LAST MONTH
        > first it was found missing and after searching the
        > monastery and whole area
        > they found her standing on the seashore outside of
        > monastery then they
        > brought her back and kept whole thing secret but
        > next day same thing
        > happen......tradition said when icon leaves
        > protection of mother of God will
        > leave and apparently first spiritual and then actual
        > destruction of holy
        > mount will follow so when those monks who are
        > couscous see that icon left,
        > should leave the holy mount so the all this evil
        > that will follow would not
        > befall them this was first time that suchh thing
        > occured
        > who have ears let him hear.....
        > br igor
        > brotherhood of St Nephon

        NEW from Yahoo! GeoCities - quick and easy web site hosting, just
        $8.95/month.
        http://geocities.yahoo.com/ps/info1

      • VRev Christopher Calin
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 4, 2001
          The source is most unreliable.

          The Very Reverend Igumen Christopher (Calin), Dean
          Russian Orthodox Cathedral of the Holy Virgin Protection
          New York City
          Does "couscous" mean something other than a Middle Eastern food in this
          context?

          One of my friends emailed me this same message about a
          month and a half ago. He didn't know how reliable the
          source was . . .

          Theodora Petrovsky
          St. Vladimir Memorial Church
          Jackson, NJ USA
          > (unofficially) we hear very disturbing news that
          > icon of most holy mother of
          > God of IVERON guardian of the Holy Mount TWICE
          > DISAPPEARED IN LAST MONTH
          > first it was found missing and after searching the
          > monastery and whole area
          > they found her standing on the seashore outside of
          > monastery then they
          > brought her back and kept whole thing secret but
          > next day same thing
          > happen......tradition said when icon leaves
          > protection of mother of God will
          > leave and apparently first spiritual and then actual
          > destruction of holy
          > mount will follow so when those monks who are
          > couscous see that icon left,
          > should leave the holy mount so the all this evil
          > that will follow would not
          > befall them this was first time that suchh thing
          > occured
          > who have ears let him hear.....
          > br igor
          > brotherhood of St Nephon

          NEW from Yahoo! GeoCities - quick and easy web site hosting, just
          $8.95/month.
          http://geocities.yahoo.com/ps/info1

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        • E.Xenia T. Mcdermott
          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 4, 2001
            I think perhaps the person who wrote it meant to write "cautious".

            --- In orthodox-synod@y..., "Natasha Mulligan" <natashinka@p...>

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
          • Nicolas de Brevern
            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 6, 2001
              to Rev Mark Gikstrap
              Father, by my investigation by internet (motor Copernic and other) from
              France, were I live, I find this one:
              Serbian orthodox community in NYC
              Brotherhood of st Nephon
              Hadji Igor Reljic
              NYC
              maybe You bow this "brother"
              hadji is a title for who makes a pilgrim to the muslim holy place and can
              put white suit after.
              curious!
              S Bogom!

            • StefanVPavlenko@netscape.net
              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 6, 2001
                The below is not complete!
                The title "Hadji" denotes anyone who has been to JERUSALEM on a
                religious pilgrimage. This title, in olden times, was added to the
                name of anyone who returned home from the Holy Land.

                After comeing back from Jerusalem I have the right to sign my name:

                Archpriest Stefan Hadji Pavlenko or

                Archpriest Hadji Stefan

                Hadji is a Arabic word (a title)not a Mohamidan word!

                --- In orthodox-synod@y..., "Nicolas de Brevern" <nbrevern@c...>

              • David Stavro
                Message 7 of 12 , Oct 6, 2001
                  Dear Archpriest Hadji Stefan:

                  Pardon me to contradict your assumption. Hadji is a
                  100% Islamic terminology. This Mohamedan terminology
                  is to describe the act of Hadj to Mecca. It is a
                  Turkish influence :):):)

                  Agape,

                  Stavro-2.

                • tfisher888@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 12 , Oct 7, 2001
                    Furthermore, there is a traditional Christian term for this (someone who
                    has been to the holy sites in the Holy Land): PILGRIM
                    Timothy Fisher, Reader and Pilgrim

                  • The Stephens
                    Message 9 of 12 , Oct 7, 2001
                      Dear Friends:

                      I think we are confusing some things. Language is neither Christian nor
                      Moslem, nor Greek nor Latin, nor Russian nor English. I have dear friends
                      who are priests in the Antiochian Orthodox Church. Those who are of Ababic
                      ancestry--WHO ARE CHRISTIANS--if using Arabic in the Divine Services clearly
                      refer to God as Allah--that's just the Arabic word for "God"--not Moslem.
                      So, if we visit the Holy Land, what difference does it make whether we refer
                      to ourselves using an Arabic word (hadji) or an English word
                      (pilgrim)--neither is Christian but either can be applied to a Christian who
                      has visited the Holy Land. I would say that in the English translation of
                      the book "The Way of a Pilgrim", the word "pilgrim" was used--but in the
                      Russian original surely the Russian word was used. Which is more Christian,
                      the English word or the Russian word? Of course this gets rediculous and
                      pedantic if carried any further.

                      I sorrow for the many, many innocent people who speak the Arabic
                      language--some of whom are Orthodox Christians--who are mistakenly thought
                      of as the enemies of Christianity.

                      Sincerely in Christ our GOOD VICTORY!
                      Fr. Seraphim Stephens, neither hadji nor pilgrim, just Southern!

                      > Furthermore, there is a traditional Christian term for this (someone
                      who
                      > has been to the holy sites in the Holy Land): PILGRIM
                      > Timothy Fisher, Reader and Pilgrim

                    • catherine elaine sullivan
                      Message 10 of 12 , Oct 9, 2001
                        THanks, Father for this. I am concerned that some on these Orthodox lists seem
                        to be trying to stir up hatred for all things Muslim in the guise of
                        "information." While I do think it behooves us to be more informed, it is very
                        easy to go over the line and in reality be promoting hatred. I hope this deos
                        not happen among Orthodox Christians.

                        =====
                        Catherine