NB: FWD: St Nephon Topic

  • Rev Mark Gilstrap
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 3, 2001
      >From: STNEPHON@...
      >Subject: IVERON ICON OF MOTHER OF GOD

      dear brethren
      (unofficially) we hear very disturbing news that icon of most holy mother of
      God of IVERON guardian of the Holy Mount TWICE DISAPPEARED IN LAST MONTH
      first it was found missing and after searching the monastery and whole area
      they found her standing on the seashore outside of monastery then they
      brought her back and kept whole thing secret but next day same thing
      happen......tradition said when icon leaves protection of mother of God will
      leave and apparently first spiritual and then actual destruction of holy
      mount will follow so when those monks who are couscous see that icon left,
      should leave the holy mount so the all this evil that will follow would not
      befall them this was first time that suchh thing occured
      who have ears let him hear.....
      br igor
      brotherhood of St Nephon
    • catherine elaine sullivan
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 4, 2001
        Am I mistaken, or ddid this happen before??

        =====
        Catherine
      • Theodora Petrovsky
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 4, 2001
          One of my friends emailed me this same message about a
          month and a half ago. He didn't know how reliable the
          source was . . .

          Theodora Petrovsky
          St. Vladimir Memorial Church
          Jackson, NJ USA
          > (unofficially) we hear very disturbing news that
          > icon of most holy mother of
          > God of IVERON guardian of the Holy Mount TWICE
          > DISAPPEARED IN LAST MONTH
          > first it was found missing and after searching the
          > monastery and whole area
          > they found her standing on the seashore outside of
          > monastery then they
          > brought her back and kept whole thing secret but
          > next day same thing
          > happen......tradition said when icon leaves
          > protection of mother of God will
          > leave and apparently first spiritual and then actual
          > destruction of holy
          > mount will follow so when those monks who are
          > couscous see that icon left,
          > should leave the holy mount so the all this evil
          > that will follow would not
          > befall them this was first time that suchh thing
          > occured
          > who have ears let him hear.....
          > br igor
          > brotherhood of St Nephon

          http://geocities.yahoo.com/ps/info1
        • Natasha Mulligan
          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 4, 2001
            Does "couscous" mean something other than a Middle Eastern food in this
            context?

            One of my friends emailed me this same message about a
            month and a half ago. He didn't know how reliable the
            source was . . .

            Theodora Petrovsky
            St. Vladimir Memorial Church
            Jackson, NJ USA
            > (unofficially) we hear very disturbing news that
            > icon of most holy mother of
            > God of IVERON guardian of the Holy Mount TWICE
            > DISAPPEARED IN LAST MONTH
            > first it was found missing and after searching the
            > monastery and whole area
            > they found her standing on the seashore outside of
            > monastery then they
            > brought her back and kept whole thing secret but
            > next day same thing
            > happen......tradition said when icon leaves
            > protection of mother of God will
            > leave and apparently first spiritual and then actual
            > destruction of holy
            > mount will follow so when those monks who are
            > couscous see that icon left,
            > should leave the holy mount so the all this evil
            > that will follow would not
            > befall them this was first time that suchh thing
            > occured
            > who have ears let him hear.....
            > br igor
            > brotherhood of St Nephon

            NEW from Yahoo! GeoCities - quick and easy web site hosting, just
            $8.95/month.
            http://geocities.yahoo.com/ps/info1

          • VRev Christopher Calin
            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 4, 2001
              The source is most unreliable.

              The Very Reverend Igumen Christopher (Calin), Dean
              Russian Orthodox Cathedral of the Holy Virgin Protection
              New York City
              Does "couscous" mean something other than a Middle Eastern food in this
              context?

              One of my friends emailed me this same message about a
              month and a half ago. He didn't know how reliable the
              source was . . .

              Theodora Petrovsky
              St. Vladimir Memorial Church
              Jackson, NJ USA
              > (unofficially) we hear very disturbing news that
              > icon of most holy mother of
              > God of IVERON guardian of the Holy Mount TWICE
              > DISAPPEARED IN LAST MONTH
              > first it was found missing and after searching the
              > monastery and whole area
              > they found her standing on the seashore outside of
              > monastery then they
              > brought her back and kept whole thing secret but
              > next day same thing
              > happen......tradition said when icon leaves
              > protection of mother of God will
              > leave and apparently first spiritual and then actual
              > destruction of holy
              > mount will follow so when those monks who are
              > couscous see that icon left,
              > should leave the holy mount so the all this evil
              > that will follow would not
              > befall them this was first time that suchh thing
              > occured
              > who have ears let him hear.....
              > br igor
              > brotherhood of St Nephon

              NEW from Yahoo! GeoCities - quick and easy web site hosting, just
              $8.95/month.
              http://geocities.yahoo.com/ps/info1

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            • E.Xenia T. Mcdermott
              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 4, 2001
                I think perhaps the person who wrote it meant to write "cautious".

                --- In orthodox-synod@y..., "Natasha Mulligan" <natashinka@p...>

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
              • Nicolas de Brevern
                Message 7 of 12 , Oct 6, 2001
                  to Rev Mark Gikstrap
                  Father, by my investigation by internet (motor Copernic and other) from
                  France, were I live, I find this one:
                  Serbian orthodox community in NYC
                  Brotherhood of st Nephon
                  Hadji Igor Reljic
                  NYC
                  maybe You bow this "brother"
                  hadji is a title for who makes a pilgrim to the muslim holy place and can
                  put white suit after.
                  curious!
                  S Bogom!

                • StefanVPavlenko@netscape.net
                  Message 8 of 12 , Oct 6, 2001
                    The below is not complete!
                    The title "Hadji" denotes anyone who has been to JERUSALEM on a
                    religious pilgrimage. This title, in olden times, was added to the
                    name of anyone who returned home from the Holy Land.

                    After comeing back from Jerusalem I have the right to sign my name:

                    Archpriest Stefan Hadji Pavlenko or

                    Archpriest Hadji Stefan

                    Hadji is a Arabic word (a title)not a Mohamidan word!

                    --- In orthodox-synod@y..., "Nicolas de Brevern" <nbrevern@c...>

                  • David Stavro
                    Message 9 of 12 , Oct 6, 2001
                      Dear Archpriest Hadji Stefan:

                      Pardon me to contradict your assumption. Hadji is a
                      100% Islamic terminology. This Mohamedan terminology
                      is to describe the act of Hadj to Mecca. It is a
                      Turkish influence :):):)

                      Agape,

                      Stavro-2.

                    • tfisher888@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 12 , Oct 7, 2001
                        Furthermore, there is a traditional Christian term for this (someone who
                        has been to the holy sites in the Holy Land): PILGRIM
                        Timothy Fisher, Reader and Pilgrim

                      • The Stephens
                        Message 11 of 12 , Oct 7, 2001
                          Dear Friends:

                          I think we are confusing some things. Language is neither Christian nor
                          Moslem, nor Greek nor Latin, nor Russian nor English. I have dear friends
                          who are priests in the Antiochian Orthodox Church. Those who are of Ababic
                          ancestry--WHO ARE CHRISTIANS--if using Arabic in the Divine Services clearly
                          refer to God as Allah--that's just the Arabic word for "God"--not Moslem.
                          So, if we visit the Holy Land, what difference does it make whether we refer
                          to ourselves using an Arabic word (hadji) or an English word
                          (pilgrim)--neither is Christian but either can be applied to a Christian who
                          has visited the Holy Land. I would say that in the English translation of
                          the book "The Way of a Pilgrim", the word "pilgrim" was used--but in the
                          Russian original surely the Russian word was used. Which is more Christian,
                          the English word or the Russian word? Of course this gets rediculous and
                          pedantic if carried any further.

                          I sorrow for the many, many innocent people who speak the Arabic
                          language--some of whom are Orthodox Christians--who are mistakenly thought
                          of as the enemies of Christianity.

                          Sincerely in Christ our GOOD VICTORY!
                          Fr. Seraphim Stephens, neither hadji nor pilgrim, just Southern!

                          Message 12 of 12 , Oct 9, 2001
                            THanks, Father for this. I am concerned that some on these Orthodox lists seem
                            to be trying to stir up hatred for all things Muslim in the guise of
                            "information." While I do think it behooves us to be more informed, it is very
                            easy to go over the line and in reality be promoting hatred. I hope this deos
                            not happen among Orthodox Christians.

                            =====
                            Catherine