Re: [orthodox-synod] Russian Old Believers

  • Fr. Alexander Lebedeff
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 2 9:33 AM
      At 11:54 PM 10/1/01 +0000, you wrote:
      >I am looking for information on the Old Believers that lived in
      >Turkey, specifically what life was like for them in a Muslim culture.
      >Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find much information about
      >this particular group of Old Believers. If anyone can recommend any
      >books, periodicals, websites, etc., I would really appreciate it.
      >Thanks in advance!
      >
      >In Christ,
      >Theodora P. Petrovsky
      >St. Vladimir Memorial Church
      >Jackson, NJ USA

      I believe you may have a contact quite near you who was born and raised in
      Turkey, and, I believe, even served in the Turkish Army.

      Ilya Gun, Priest
      210 Lake Dr.
      Stanhope, NJ 07874-3005
      Tel: 973/347-0374
      Corr: Turkish; R; Conv: R; Turkish; Svcs: S

      Also, at the danger of coming into contact with an individual who has left
      our Church, and was defrocked, you might try to locate former priest
      Dimitry Sever, who lives in Ottawa. He also was born and grew up in Turkey
      in one of the communities that arrived there during the time of Catherine
      the Great.

      With love in Christ,

      Prot. Alexander Lebedeff
    • catherine elaine sullivan
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 2 9:49 AM
        I have no written stuff, but you might contact the ROCOR church in Erie, PA-
        they were Old Believers and would probably know.

        =====
        Catherine