Russian Old Believers

  • theopetr@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 1, 2001
      I am looking for information on the Old Believers that lived in
      Turkey, specifically what life was like for them in a Muslim culture.
      Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find much information about
      this particular group of Old Believers. If anyone can recommend any
      books, periodicals, websites, etc., I would really appreciate it.
      Thanks in advance!

      In Christ,
      Theodora P. Petrovsky
      St. Vladimir Memorial Church
      Jackson, NJ USA
    • mmalloy@pop.service.ohio-state.edu
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 1, 2001
        I think you're talking about the "Nekrasov" Old Believers. At least
        they lived in various parts of Turkey after the left Russia. They
        kept their culture very much alive. Many of them now live in the
        Stavropol region in souther Russia.

        I am no expert, but I suggest perhaps you should contact Dr.
        Margarita Ophee-Mazo at the Ohio State University School of Music.
        She has studied this particular group of Old Believers in depth along
        with her former student Olga Velichkina (now living in Paris). The
        two of them made a CD of the Nekrasov Old Believers music for the
        Smithsonian Institution.

        Michael Malloy
        OSU Music and Dance Library

        --- In orthodox-synod@y..., theopetr@y... wrote:
        > I am looking for information on the Old Believers that lived in
        > Turkey, specifically what life was like for them in a Muslim
        culture.
        > Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find much information about
        > this particular group of Old Believers. If anyone can recommend any
        > books, periodicals, websites, etc., I would really appreciate it.
        > Thanks in advance!
        >
        > In Christ,
        > Theodora P. Petrovsky
        > St. Vladimir Memorial Church
        > Jackson, NJ USA
      • Fr. Alexander Lebedeff
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 2, 2001
          At 11:54 PM 10/1/01 +0000, you wrote:
          >I am looking for information on the Old Believers that lived in
          >Turkey, specifically what life was like for them in a Muslim culture.
          >Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find much information about
          >this particular group of Old Believers. If anyone can recommend any
          >books, periodicals, websites, etc., I would really appreciate it.
          >Thanks in advance!
          >
          >In Christ,
          >Theodora P. Petrovsky
          >St. Vladimir Memorial Church
          >Jackson, NJ USA

          I believe you may have a contact quite near you who was born and raised in
          Turkey, and, I believe, even served in the Turkish Army.

          Ilya Gun, Priest
          210 Lake Dr.
          Stanhope, NJ 07874-3005
          Tel: 973/347-0374
          Corr: Turkish; R; Conv: R; Turkish; Svcs: S

          Also, at the danger of coming into contact with an individual who has left
          our Church, and was defrocked, you might try to locate former priest
          Dimitry Sever, who lives in Ottawa. He also was born and grew up in Turkey
          in one of the communities that arrived there during the time of Catherine
          the Great.

          With love in Christ,

          Prot. Alexander Lebedeff
        • catherine elaine sullivan
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 2, 2001
            I have no written stuff, but you might contact the ROCOR church in Erie, PA-
            they were Old Believers and would probably know.

            =====
            Catherine