Re: [orthodox-synod] Litany

  • Michael M. Ossorgin
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 27, 2001
      Dear List,

      Here are the prayers I took from Reader Isaac's translations that we are
      inserting at the Great and Augmented Litany's:

      Great Litany after ³FOR TRAVELERS BY SEAŠ LORD, HAVE MERCY² two additional
      petitions:
      Priest That He may hear from His Holy Church the wailing and sighing of His
      servants, who have been put in chains and enslaved by the iniquitous, and
      who cry out to Him in grief and sorrow; and that He may lead their life up
      out of corruption, let us pray to the Lord.
      Choir Lord, have mercy.
      Priest That He may uproot within us hatred, strife and the other passions
      which destroy brotherly love, and sow in our hearts love unfeigned, let us
      pray to the Lord.
      Priest Resumes with: That we may be delivered from all tribulation,Š
      Choir Lord, have mercy.

      The Augmented Ectenia after ³AGAIN WE PRAY FOR THE BLESSED AND
      EVER-MEMORABLEŠ LORD, HAVE MERCY² three additional petitions:
      Priest With the eye of Thy mercy, O Lord Who lovest mankind, look with
      compassion upon the sighs, tears, groans and afflictions of Thy faithful
      servants, as Thou didst look upon Israel when they were in Egypt; and
      quickly free them, that with contrite heart we may earnestly pray: Hearken
      and have mercy!
      Choir Lord, have mercy. Thrice.
      Priest Look down from heaven, and behold, and disdain not our entreaties,
      neither reject them utterly; but arise quickly to the aid of Thy servants;
      unsheath Thy sword, and cut off the heads of the mighty who stand against
      Thee; and cleanse the land of Thy people of their ungodliness, that unto
      Thee, our God, Who art mighty in strength and wondrous in Thy counsels, we
      may pray with humble spirit: O Compassionate One, hearken and have mercy!
      Choir Lord, have mercy. Thrice.
      Priest O Master, Who gavest to Thy disciples the new commandment, that they
      love one another: by the Holy Spirit renew this in the hearts of Thy
      servants, and deliver us from all corrupting passions, that we may always
      strive to take care to please Thee and for our true salvation and benefit,
      we pray Thee, O merciful Benefactor: Hearken and have mercy!
      Choir Lord, have mercy. Thrice.
      Priest Resumes with: Again we pray for them that bring offeringsŠ.

      In Christ, Michael