Request

  • matanna@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 26, 2001
      A ROCOR clergyman has a nephew in Poland who is in dire straits. The
      man has no health insurance, and developed cancer. He was still able
      to work, and thus could pay for treatment, but recently he also broke
      his leg. Now not only is he without a means to support himself, but
      also he cannot afford life-saving treatments. He needs $1,000 for
      both medicine and to support himself until his leg is healed, a sum
      which neither the clergyman nor his parish can provide.

      If anyone is in a position to help the family, donations can be made
      through the Orthodox Benevolent Fund and sent to:

      Polish Cancer Patient
      c/o The Orthodox Benevolent Fund
      PO Box 203
      Fly Creek, NY 13337-0203

      Please make the check out to the Orthodox Benevolent Fund and mark in
      the notation that it's for the Polish Cancer Patient.

      Thank you for your help and prayers.

      In Christ,
      Matushka Ann Lardas
    • Sandra Thompson
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 30, 2001
        At one time you posted a request to help a young girl named Anna . I sent
        you a check for $5 in July, but it is still outstanding .Did you receive it?
        Aleksandra Thompson
      • matanna@aol.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 31, 2001
          Dear Sandy,
          Thank you! . I forwarded your note to Anna's father, and you should
          hear from him.

          I didn't receive it personally, but we've had four addresses in the
          past year and a half (finally are settled in our home in Stratford),
          and if it went directly to the Anna Fund, I wouldn't have seen it.
          When I learn of people in need of help (Anna, the priest's nephew
          with cancer in Poland, even our own parish after the fire), I
          purposely ask people to send their gifts to places more organized
          than me, already established to receive, record and use the
          donations, preferably established (501)(C)(3)(i.e. tax deductable)
          charities with accountable boards, whether it's the Anna Fund, the
          Benevolent Fund, or the Fire Restoration Fund. This means that I
          don't see the results, but that's just as well. We did receive a
          number of kind gifts for the parish directly addressed to me, but I
          gave these to the treasurer as soon as we opened them. I have an
          adversarial relationship with important pieces of paper, and don't
          want to be the cause of anything being lost or misdirected. I can
          write, but I can't count for beans.

          Thank God, Anna looks good. Her last check-up went well, and after
          two years of being significantly smaller than her sister, she shot up
          within the past two months, and now she and Alexadra are the same
          size. They look a lot more like twins than they did a year ago. They
          sing in the choir for part of the service every Sunday and have
          started Kindergarten, which they love, although they are in different
          classrooms. Where she used to complain about her legs hurting after a
          short walk, she now begs to go to the park to play baseball (both
          girls hit and pitch much better than I do). We served a Thanksgiving
          moleben after she'd been in remission for a year. It looks so
          promising. Thank you for your prayers and for your help.