Blonde, Blue Eyed, Protestant & Clean Shaven

  • orthodixie@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 22, 2001
      O To Be Blonde, Blue Eyed, Protestant & Clean Shaven! :)

      Along with peace-loving Arabs -- Moslem & Christian -- please be mindful of
      all the bizarre looking Orthodox clergy (i.e., beards, robes & funny hats) in
      America.

      Seriously.

      The day before the terrorist attack, the local newspaper was at our church to
      do a story on our iconographer and new icons. The story was supposed to run
      in last Saturday's newspaper (9/15). Of course, instead, they ran pictures
      and stories of various prayer vigils. For once, I was happy to NOT see our
      story! Today, September 22nd, I mentally crossed my fingers and opened up
      the Religion section. Thanks be to God, the story about the weirdy-beardy
      Orthodox was yet again postponed.

      Several parishioners, and even my Baptist father-in-law, have been concerned
      about my being seen out and about in "clergy garb" and long beard. And, I
      must admit, I left the house the other day without donning the skoufia.
      (Forgive me.)

      Reading through the President's invited gallery guest list from Wednesday's
      address, a word search on "Orthodox" uncovered only this: "Imam Hamza Hanson
      (Seat B-4), a California native, was born into a Christian Orthodox family
      and embraced Islam during college ...."

      My mother, also Baptist, wrote me: "Don't be offended by this but I heard a
      talk show host this afternoon asking the Russian Orthodox and any religion
      that had connections with other countries to cut off from them at this time.
      I think they are afraid someone may try to come into the country disguised as
      a priest."

      Don't get me wrong. I'm not advocating hiding, changing, or a victim
      mentality. But a few extra prayers for the tempering of men's passions would
      be appreciated.

      The (unworthy) spoiled American convert priest ...

      Fr Joseph Huneycutt
      St Nicholas Church (ROCOR)
      Fletcher, NC
      <A HREF="http://orthodoxinfo.com/general/missionconf_overview.htm">ROCOR
      Southern Missions Conference 2001 -- Overview</A>