Ukaz - To All American parishes and proclamation by Pres Bush

  • Priest Seraphim Holland
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 14, 2001
      To the Reverend Rectors of the Parishes & Missions of the Diocese of
      Eastern America & New York His Grace, Archbishop Laurus of Syracuse &
      Trinity, the Deputy First Hierarch of the Russian Orthodox Church
      Outside of Russia, has informed us that His Eminence, Metropolitan
      Vitaly, has requested that, in view of the calamity visited upon the
      United States by the terrorist attacks made on New York City and
      Washington, D.C., the parishes of our American Dioceses celebrate a
      Service of Supplication for the Pacification of Men's Passions. The
      order for such a Service of Supplication here follows.

      Gabriel, Bishop of Manhattan
      31 August/13 Sepember 2001
      Deposition of the Cincture of the Theotokos

      Also, the following should be of interest to all:

      National Day of Prayer and Remembrance for the Victims Of the
      Terrorist Attacks on September 11, 2001

      By the President of the United States of America

      A Proclamation On Tuesday morning, September 11, 2001, terrorists
      attacked America in a series of despicable acts of war. They
      hijacked four passenger jets, crashed two of them into the World
      Trade Center's twin towers, a third into the Headquarters of the U.S.
      Department of Defense at the Pentagon, causing great loss of life and
      tremendous damage. The fourth plane crashed in the Pennsylvania
      countryside, killing all on board but falling well short of its
      intended target apparently because of the heroic efforts of
      passengers on board. This carnage, which caused the collapse of both
      Trade Center towers and the destruction of part of the Pentagon,
      killed more than 250 airplane passengers and thousands more on the

      Civilized people around the world denounce the evildoers who devised
      and executed these terrible attacks. Justice demands that those who
      helped or harbored the terrorists be punished -- and punished
      severely. The enormity of their evil demands it. We will use all
      the resources of the United States and our cooperating friends and
      allies to pursue those responsible for this evil, until justice is

      We mourn with those who have suffered great and disastrous loss. All
      our hearts have been seared by the sudden and sense-less taking of
      innocent lives. We pray for healing and for the strength to serve
      and encourage one another in hope and faith.

      Scripture says: "Blessed are those who mourn for they shall be
      comforted." I call on every American family and the family of
      America to observe a National Day of Prayer and Remembrance, honoring
      the memory of the thousands of victims of these brutal attacks and
      comforting those who lost loved ones. We will persevere through this
      national tragedy and personal loss. In time, we will find healing
      and recovery; and, in the face of all this evil, we remain strong and
      united, "one Nation under God."

      NOW, THEREFORE, I, GEORGE W. BUSH, President of the United States of
      America, by virtue of the authority vested in me by the Constitution
      and laws of the United States, do hereby proclaim Friday, September
      14, 2001, as a National Day of Prayer and Remembrance for the Victims
      of the Terrorist Attacks on September 11, 2001. I ask that the
      people of the United States and places of worship mark this National
      Day of Prayer and Remembrance with noontime memorial services, the
      ringing of bells at that hour, and evening candlelight remembrance
      vigils. I encourage employers to permit their workers time off
      during the lunch hour to attend the noontime services to pray for our
      land. I invite the people of the world who share our grief to join
      us in these solemn observances.

      IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand this thirteenth day
      of September, in the year of our Lord two thousand one, and of the
      Independence of the United States of America the two hundred and

      Priest Seraphim Holland St Nicholas Orthodox Church, Dallas, Texas, USA
      seraphim@... Ph:972/529-2754 MOBILE & VOICE MAIL 214 336-3464
      FAX: 603/908-2408 Home Address: 2102 Summit, McKinney, TX 75070, USA
      WEBMASTER FOR: St Nicholas Home Page - http://www.orthodox.net
      Official ROCOR Page - http://www.rocor.org
      10 questions (many subjects) http://www.orthodox.net/questions
      Thoughts on the Sunday gospels http://www.orthodox.net/sermons