Synod and Prayers

  • Michael M. Ossorgin
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 11, 2001
      Dear Lists,

      I was asked to post this message which I received from SYNOD at 7:42 EST:

      Telephone communication with NY City has been at best intermittent in the
      aftermath of today's terrorist attack. A statement from Synod is being
      prepared as well as recommendations for prayers to be said in our parishes
      during these tragic times. Our pastors and faithful are urged to increase
      and intensify their supplications to our Merciful God, that He may avert the
      evil which seeks to destroy us.

      Per Father Seraphim Holland's request:

      We had a well attended Moleiben today at noon that Father Dmitri assembled
      at St. Juliana of Lazarevo Russian Orthodox Church. We used the 45th psalm
      which is very appropriate for as Father put it, "Times of Tribulations or
      War."

      Reader Isaac finally got an open line and called and he suggested that this
      prayer also be used while he puts together other appropriate service
      material:

      Prayer of Supplication in Time of Any Calamity

      Deacon: Let us pray to the Lord.
      People: Lord, have mercy!
      And the Priest readeth this prayer:
      O Lord Who alone art rich in mercy, and in the lovingkindness of Thy
      goodness dost hearken to the supplication of us, Thy sinful and unworthy
      servants, arranging and directing us all toward our benefit, guiding our
      life by Thy wise providence, and in every way desiring our salvation; Who by
      nature art long-suffering and great in mercy; Who dost chastise and healest
      again; Who dost rebuke gently and with love for man, not to destroy the work
      of Thy hands, but to bring it to its primal goodness and to its original
      nobility, which we have destroyed in the feebleness of our understanding and
      by the counsel of the most accursed one; Who desirest to restore it, and Who
      lookest how Thy mightest, in any way, save that which hath come to grief
      through the fall: Do Thou Thyself, O almighty Master, look down upon us, and
      hearken to the entreaties of us sinners. For the multitude of our
      iniquities hath rendered us bereft of boldness; nor do we in anywise dare to
      ask forgiveness for our transgressions. But knowing Thy love for mankind,
      Thy lovingkindness, Thy surpassing mercy, long-suffering, guilelessness and
      exceeding great goodness, and trusting in the depth thereof, and in the
      abyss of Thy beneficence, we lift up our hands and fervently cry aloud to
      Thee: We have sinned, we have committed iniquities, we have dealt unjustly,
      in that we have forgotten Thy commandments, and have followed after our
      wicked thoughts, and have lived in a manner unworthy of the name and Gospel
      of Christ, and His sufferings, and His self-abasement for our sake, so that
      we have become a reproach unto those who love Thee. Thy priests and Thy
      people have we astonished, and we have all turned aside and are become
      unprofitable: there is not one who rendereth justice and righteousness, no
      not one. We have cut off Thy compassions, Thy love for mankind, and the
      lovingkindness of the mercy of Thee our God, because of our malice and the
      wickedness of the undertakings whereby we have lived. Thou art
      long-suffering; but we deserve scourgings. We know Thy goodness, even
      though we are ignorant. We have been stricken lightly considering those
      things wherein we have offended. Thou art awesome; who can withstand Thee?
      Thou makest the mountains to quake; and who can speak against the magnitude
      of Thine arm? If Thou wilt shut up heaven, who will open it? And if Thou
      wilt close Thy floodgates, who will survive it? An easy matter is it in
      Thine eyes to make poor and to enrich, to give life and to slay, to afflict
      with illness and to heal: Thy least wish is a deed already accomplished.
      Thou hast become wroth, and we have committed offense; none of the ancients
      speaketh, confessing. Time is against us saying: We have sinned, and Thou
      hast become angered against us; wherefore, we have become a reproach to our
      neighbors. Thou hast turned Thy face away, and we have filled ourselves
      with dishonor. But still Thy wrath, O Lord; absolve, O Lord; have mercy, O
      Lord, and forsake us not utterly because of our iniquities, neither punish
      Thou others with our wounds. Grant that we may become chaste through the
      sufferings of others. We are they? Nations which know Thee not and
      kingdoms which submit not to Thy rule. But we are Thy people and the rod of
      Thine inheritance. Wherefore, chastise us, though in goodness and not in
      Thine ire, that Thou mayest not cause us to diminish, lest we become abased
      more than all who live on the earth; for Thy mercy is ineffable, Thy love of
      mankind is insuperable, and the wealth of Thy goodness is incalculable; and,
      trusting therein, we pray and make supplication, bending the knees of our
      hearts: Cease Thou to cut us with the edge of Thy wrath, we beg Thee
      earnestly, as of old, in David¹s time, Thou didst act toward Thy people, if
      we show due repentance; but as Thou art all-good, put aside Thine anger and
      quell Thou Thy just wrath, and grant health to those who are suffering,
      strength to those who are enfeebled, and preserve them in good health.
      Drive every ailment and disease from Thy people; free all from the
      expectation thereof, keeping them unassailed by their former infirmity, and
      by Thine almighty arm maintain them untouched by this cruel misery and
      pernicious affliction: for truly the raging of Thy wrath hath shaken and
      troubled us all. And though we are not turning in every way from our wicked
      deeds, yet do Thou Thyself deliver us all from an evil conscience, and grant
      that we may be well-pleasing unto Thee in every good work. Through the
      supplications of the pure Mother of God, the Ever-virgin Mary, who gave
      birth unto Thee without having known man, and by the intercession of the
      holy angels who gaze upon God, and of all the saints.
      Exclamation: For Thou art the well-spring of mercy and the
      inexhaustible abyss of lovingkindness, and we send up glory unto Thee, and
      Thine unoriginate Father and Thine all-holy, good and life-creating Spirit,
      now and ever, and unto the ages of ages.
      People: Amen.

      Translated from the Church Slavonic by the reader Isaac E. Lambertsen, from
      The Euchologion, Vol. I (Moscow: Synodal Press, 1902), pp. 232a-235a.
      Copyright © 1998. All rights reserved by the translator.

      On a more joyful note, Archpriest Giorgi Larin's son, who was present at the
      WTC area for work, escaped harm.

      Vladika is back from DC and safe at SYNOD.

      in Christ, Michael