[orthodox-synod] Re: Assurance

  • LJames6034@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 10, 1999
      "Blessed assurance, Jesus is mine. Oh what a portent of Glory divine. . . ."

      What a stirring old line Protestant hymn that was/is.

      Assurance is hard to get in this life. Let those who have found it take
      comfort in it, as they may.

      However, if your point in just to indicate there is a vast gulf fixed between
      "assurance" and the word "may," why, yes, that is true.

      And so what?

      Whoever would be infallible must be doubly careful never to make a mistake.
      If you make sport of other people's errors, trust me when I tell you this:
      Those on this List who spend their entire time putting others down (so that,
      however briefly, they may feel better about themselves) will soon make sport
      of you.

      As African-Americans are wont to say: "What goes around, comes around."

      There's a wonderful French film, en francias, starring Gerard Depardu, which
      accents the viciousness and the emptiness of many of those in the French
      court, just before the Revolution. For them, as for some on the List,
      being witty and clever was more important than substance.

      I think it was Ralph Waldo Emerson who said: "A foolish consistency is the
      hobgoblin of little minds."

      In Olga's defense, let me just point out that: One can get carried away
      in one's own rhetoric. As none of us is perfect, it might be kinder to let
      points of grammar rest with grammarians, don't you think?

      Father Andrew