Wedding rings

  • Kiril Bart
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 27, 2001
      In Orthodox tradition wedding rings are to be placed
      on right hand, unfortunately by my personal
      observations I can see a lot of orthodox wearing them
      on left hand, RC and Protestant tradition, even I
      observed few lesser clergy wearing them in a same
      fashion. My questions are: Where in a scriptures it
      came from and second if any Old Calendarists still
      enforce that policy.
      Thanks, Subdeacon Kirill
      (right hand ringed)

      http://phonecard.yahoo.com/
    • Rev. John R. Shaw
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 27, 2001
        On Mon, 27 Aug 2001, Kiril Bart wrote:

        > In Orthodox tradition wedding rings are to be placed
        > on right hand, unfortunately by my personal
        > observations I can see a lot of orthodox wearing them
        > on left hand, RC and Protestant tradition, even I
        > observed few lesser clergy wearing them in a same
        > fashion. My questions are: Where in a scriptures it
        > came from and second if any Old Calendarists still
        > enforce that policy.

        Unfortunately, in America it has become so customary for wedding
        rings to be worn on the *left* hand that, if they are put on the right
        hand, most Americans think these are some other kind of ring, not signs
        that the wearer is married.

        Nevertheless, in the wedding ceremony they are put on the *right*
        hand by the priest; it is the partners themselves who later change the
        rings to the other hand, on their own.

      • tallscapes@aol.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 27, 2001
          Evlogeite!

          When I lived in NYC,
          attended an Old Calendar parish
          then under ROCOR,
          and was married in church,
          we broke with tradition.
          The rings were blessed,
          placed on our right fourth fingers,
          and have stayed there ever since.
          My wife's ring however is of gold
          as is mine.
          Tradition calls for the wife's ring
          to be silver (see the rubrics in
          THE SERVICE BOOK of I Hapgood,
          published with the blessing of
          Patriarch Tikhon).

          Peter
        • Vladimir Boikov
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 27, 2001
            Just an interesting aside to this question:
            I recently heard a replay of the radio broadcast of the Coronation of Queen
            Elisabeth II. Since it was a radio broadcast the commentary was quite
            descriptive and the commentator explained that when the Monarch of England
            is crowned, a special ring denoting his/her "marriage" to the British Empire
            (I believe it is colloquially called the "Wedding Ring of England") is
            placed on the ring finger of his/her RIGHT hand.
            In Christ,
            Fr. Vladimir Boikov

            > In Orthodox tradition wedding rings are to be placed
            > on right hand, unfortunately by my personal
            > observations I can see a lot of orthodox wearing them
            > on left hand, RC and Protestant tradition, even I
            > observed few lesser clergy wearing them in a same
            > fashion. My questions are: Where in a scriptures it
            > came from and second if any Old Calendarists still
            > enforce that policy.

            Unfortunately, in America it has become so customary for wedding
            rings to be worn on the *left* hand that, if they are put on the right
            hand, most Americans think these are some other kind of ring, not signs
            that the wearer is married.

            Nevertheless, in the wedding ceremony they are put on the *right*
            hand by the priest; it is the partners themselves who later change the
            rings to the other hand, on their own.

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          • Natasha Mulligan
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 27, 2001
              I was under the impression that it's not only Orthodox, but a European
              tradition, to have the wedding ring on the right hand. Any thoughts?

            • antiquariu@aol.com
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 27, 2001
                In a message dated 27-Aug-01 10:54:57 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                natashinka@... writes:

                > I was under the impression that it's not only Orthodox, but a European
                > tradition, to have the wedding ring on the right hand. Any thoughts?

                Sure is - it has been a Saxon custom since pagan times, and is still thre
                standard for Germany as a whole.

                Vova

              • Rebecca M
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 28, 2001
                  --- In orthodox-synod@y..., "Vladimir Boikov" <frvladimir@i...> wrote:
                  >, a special ring denoting his/her "marriage" to the British Empire
                  > (I believe it is colloquially called the "Wedding Ring of England") is
                  > placed on the ring finger of his/her RIGHT hand.
                  > In Christ,
                  > Fr. Vladimir Boikov

                  In England wedding rings are traditionally worn on the right hand. My
                  mother always wore hers on the right. An English colleague at work
                  wears his on the right. In Latin America younger people usually have
                  it on the left, but older people on the right.

                  I'm more curious to know where other than US people wear it on the left
                  and when/wear did the custom originate?

                  In Christ,
                  Rebecca
                • Elizabeth Riggs
                  Message 8 of 8 , Aug 31, 2001
                    --- In orthodox-synod@y..., Kiril Bart <kirbart@y...> wrote:
                    > In Orthodox tradition wedding rings are to be placed
                    > on right hand, unfortunately by my personal
                    > observations I can see a lot of orthodox wearing them
                    > on left hand, RC and Protestant tradition, even I
                    > observed few lesser clergy wearing them in a same
                    > fashion. My questions are: Where in a scriptures it
                    > came from and second if any Old Calendarists still
                    > enforce that policy.
                    > Thanks, Subdeacon Kirill
                    > (right hand ringed)

                    In the US the etiquette doyens (Emily Post, Elizabeth Post, "Miss
                    Manners," et al) have dictated that the wedding rings are worn on the
                    left hand and moved to the right hand when divorced. I wear mine on
                    the right hand and wear a plain gold band on my left hand so the
                    Americans won't get too confused.

                    Elizabeth, the sinner
                    and Perennial Student