Re: A question regarding "the belt"

  • StefanVPavlenko@netscape.net
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 15, 2001
      From its foundation, Holy Trinity Orthodox Seminary at Holy Trinity
      Russian Orthodox Monastery, Jordanville, NY was established as an
      integral part of the monastic community at which this theological
      institution was housed. Many of the original seminarians of the first
      student class were young monks from the Pochaev Brotherhood from
      Vladomirova in Carpatho-russia. Archbishop Vitaly (Maximenko), of Holy
      memory, envisioned the Seminary as always being subject to the
      Monastery. All though the students are not all in fact formal
      "poslushniks"-novices of the community, they are none the less
      expected to live their lives at the Seminary as the
      poslushniki-novices of the Monastery. Each Seminarian is >vested< in
      the cassock and given the belt to ware with a blessing in a formal act
      by the Rector of the Seminary and Abbot of the Monastery (Archbishop
      Averky in my time, now Archbishop Lavr). Five years of cassock and
      belt meld you to the richness of the liturgical celebration and ethos
      of the Orthodox Christian experience and prepare you to live the rest
      of your life in traditional Orthodox Priests attire. It is anything
      but lacking of "any sacred meanings" (sic).
      Archpriest Stefan Pavlenko

      PS: The big metal belt buckle that the usual seminarian leather belt
      has is a fantastic beer bottle opener! :-)

      The real novices choose to wear the monastic type belt that has the
      tie strings at each end.

    • frmichaelc@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 16, 2001
        Thank you, Fr. Stefan, for this fine example of "orthopraxis". Let's hear it
        for the living tradition!

        With respect and affection,

        Fr. Michael Carney

        In a message dated 8/16/2001 7:45:13 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
        StefanVPavlenko@... writes:

        > PS: The big metal belt buckle that the usual seminarian leather belt
        > has is a fantastic beer bottle opener! :-)

      • Vladimir Boikov
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 16, 2001
          Archpriest Stefan Pavlenko wrote among other things:

          PS: The big metal belt buckle that the usual seminarian leather belt
          has is a fantastic beer bottle opener! :-)

          I would respond:
          This must have been an ancient Jordanvillian custom - we drank beer out of
          a Matts Beer Ball. And the Australians always came to the party with the
          biggest glasses - some even brought jars.
          Father Vladimir Boikov