Re: [orthodox-synod] A question regarding "the belt"

  • Kiril Bart
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 14, 2001
      My understanding is that seminarian in Russia didn't
      wear a cassock, but jackets, here in US seminarians in
      Jordanville wear a cassock without any sacred meanings
      to it more like an Ukrainian or South Russian custom.
      Subdeacon Kirill

      http://phonecard.yahoo.com/
    • StefanVPavlenko@netscape.net
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 15, 2001
        From its foundation, Holy Trinity Orthodox Seminary at Holy Trinity
        Russian Orthodox Monastery, Jordanville, NY was established as an
        integral part of the monastic community at which this theological
        institution was housed. Many of the original seminarians of the first
        student class were young monks from the Pochaev Brotherhood from
        Vladomirova in Carpatho-russia. Archbishop Vitaly (Maximenko), of Holy
        memory, envisioned the Seminary as always being subject to the
        Monastery. All though the students are not all in fact formal
        "poslushniks"-novices of the community, they are none the less
        expected to live their lives at the Seminary as the
        poslushniki-novices of the Monastery. Each Seminarian is >vested< in
        the cassock and given the belt to ware with a blessing in a formal act
        by the Rector of the Seminary and Abbot of the Monastery (Archbishop
        Averky in my time, now Archbishop Lavr). Five years of cassock and
        belt meld you to the richness of the liturgical celebration and ethos
        of the Orthodox Christian experience and prepare you to live the rest
        of your life in traditional Orthodox Priests attire. It is anything
        but lacking of "any sacred meanings" (sic).
        Archpriest Stefan Pavlenko

        PS: The big metal belt buckle that the usual seminarian leather belt
        has is a fantastic beer bottle opener! :-)

        The real novices choose to wear the monastic type belt that has the
        tie strings at each end.

      • frmichaelc@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 16, 2001
          Thank you, Fr. Stefan, for this fine example of "orthopraxis". Let's hear it
          for the living tradition!

          With respect and affection,

          Fr. Michael Carney

          In a message dated 8/16/2001 7:45:13 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
          StefanVPavlenko@... writes:

          > PS: The big metal belt buckle that the usual seminarian leather belt
          > has is a fantastic beer bottle opener! :-)

        • Vladimir Boikov
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 16, 2001
            Archpriest Stefan Pavlenko wrote among other things:

            PS: The big metal belt buckle that the usual seminarian leather belt
            has is a fantastic beer bottle opener! :-)

            I would respond:
            This must have been an ancient Jordanvillian custom - we drank beer out of
            a Matts Beer Ball. And the Australians always came to the party with the
            biggest glasses - some even brought jars.
            Father Vladimir Boikov