A question regarding "the belt"

  • theopetr@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 14, 2001
      I have a question that I can't seem to find a clear answer for, so
      maybe someone on this list can help. I often see readers and/or
      seminarians wearing a black leather belt on the outside of their
      cassock. At first I thought that only monastics wore this belt.
      However, then I read in a book that seminarians wear the belt as a
      sign of their obedience to their teachers in the seminary. I am a bit
      confused about who should wear this belt, and why.
      Awaiting your response . . .
      In Christ,
      Theodora Petrovsky
      St. Vladimir Memorial Church
      Jackson, NJ, USA
    • Kiril Bart
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 14, 2001
        My understanding is that seminarian in Russia didn't
        wear a cassock, but jackets, here in US seminarians in
        Jordanville wear a cassock without any sacred meanings
        to it more like an Ukrainian or South Russian custom.
        Subdeacon Kirill

        http://phonecard.yahoo.com/
      • StefanVPavlenko@netscape.net
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 15, 2001
          From its foundation, Holy Trinity Orthodox Seminary at Holy Trinity
          Russian Orthodox Monastery, Jordanville, NY was established as an
          integral part of the monastic community at which this theological
          institution was housed. Many of the original seminarians of the first
          student class were young monks from the Pochaev Brotherhood from
          Vladomirova in Carpatho-russia. Archbishop Vitaly (Maximenko), of Holy
          memory, envisioned the Seminary as always being subject to the
          Monastery. All though the students are not all in fact formal
          "poslushniks"-novices of the community, they are none the less
          expected to live their lives at the Seminary as the
          poslushniki-novices of the Monastery. Each Seminarian is >vested< in
          the cassock and given the belt to ware with a blessing in a formal act
          by the Rector of the Seminary and Abbot of the Monastery (Archbishop
          Averky in my time, now Archbishop Lavr). Five years of cassock and
          belt meld you to the richness of the liturgical celebration and ethos
          of the Orthodox Christian experience and prepare you to live the rest
          of your life in traditional Orthodox Priests attire. It is anything
          but lacking of "any sacred meanings" (sic).
          Archpriest Stefan Pavlenko

          PS: The big metal belt buckle that the usual seminarian leather belt
          has is a fantastic beer bottle opener! :-)

          The real novices choose to wear the monastic type belt that has the
          tie strings at each end.

        • frmichaelc@aol.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 16, 2001
            Thank you, Fr. Stefan, for this fine example of "orthopraxis". Let's hear it
            for the living tradition!

            With respect and affection,

            Fr. Michael Carney

            In a message dated 8/16/2001 7:45:13 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
            StefanVPavlenko@... writes:

            > PS: The big metal belt buckle that the usual seminarian leather belt
            > has is a fantastic beer bottle opener! :-)

          • Vladimir Boikov
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 16, 2001
              Archpriest Stefan Pavlenko wrote among other things:

              PS: The big metal belt buckle that the usual seminarian leather belt
              has is a fantastic beer bottle opener! :-)

              I would respond:
              This must have been an ancient Jordanvillian custom - we drank beer out of
              a Matts Beer Ball. And the Australians always came to the party with the
              biggest glasses - some even brought jars.
              Father Vladimir Boikov