Warning from the Typikon: Don't Eat Grapes Now!!

  • Fr. Alexander Lebedeff
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 31, 2001
      The Typikon, in its rubrics for the service for August 6 contains this
      warning regarding eating grapes (meaning this season's new crop) before the
      Feast of the Transfiguration, (in a free paraphrase translation, but the
      gist is correct):

      "If anyone (well, actually it says any brother, but we know that inclusive
      language hasn't hit the Typikon yet) should eat grapes before the Feast of
      the Transfiguration, let him/her bear this penance--he/she may not eat any
      grapes until the end of August."

      This is followed by a notation that in countries where it is not grapes
      that ripen for the Feast of the Transfiguration, then this applies to
      whatever fruit is used at the blessing of fruits--be it figs, or dates, or
      whatever.

      So, everybody out there, remember that there are interesting other fasts
      that the Church imposes on us, other than just meat, eggs and dairy.

      Just thought you'd want to know. . .

      With love in Christ,

      Prot. Alexander Lebedeff
    • Rev. John R. Shaw
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 1 7:19 AM
        On Tue, 31 Jul 2001, Fr. Alexander Lebedeff wrote:

        > This is followed by a notation that in countries where it is not grapes
        > that ripen for the Feast of the Transfiguration, then this applies to
        > whatever fruit is used at the blessing of fruits--be it figs, or dates, or
        > whatever.
        >
        > So, everybody out there, remember that there are interesting other fasts
        > that the Church imposes on us, other than just meat, eggs and dairy.

        From what I am told, since the seasons are reversed in Australia,
        there they bless grapes, not at Transfiguration, but at the Meeting of the
        Lord, which falls in the right season in those parts.