Re: COUP d'ETAT IN ROCOR

  • StefanVPavlenko@netscape.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 14, 2001
      The below is a web of DISTORTIONS AND OUTRIGHT LIES which convey
      little about what really occurred at the Synod of Bishops. Again the
      signature of the Chief Hierarch and Chairman of the meeting
      Metropolitan Vitaly-- on the "protocol" (minutes of the meeting) and
      the current Synod Epistle prove a contrary account. Also anyone who
      was at the celebration can witness to the honors shown the
      Metropolitan. The second panagia was awarded at the previous Sobor in
      time for for the Jubilee, but Metropolitan Vitaly chose to adorn
      himself with this award prior to it, just at the time Father George
      and I had made our trip to Europe!

      The COUP was attempted and failed by those who have tried to discredit
      the Sobor of Bishops and Synod of Bishops.
      Archpriest Stefan Pavlenko

      --- In orthodox-synod@y..., intrprtr@p... wrote:

      > COUP d'ETAT IN ROCOR
      >
      > METROPOLITAN VITALY REFUSED TO PARTICIPATE IN THE CONVOCATION OF THE
      ROCOR
      > SYNOD OF BISHOPS, AND THE MEMBERS OF THE SYNOD REMOVED HIM FROM
      GOVERNING
      > THE CHURCH
      >
      > (Vertograd, New York")
      >
      > On July 10, [2001] the members of the Synod of Bishops of ROCOR -
      > archbishops Laurus, Alipy, Hilarion and Mark, [and] bishops Evtikhy,
      > Kyrill, Alexander, Ambrose, Gabriel and Michael - removed the current
      > First-Hierarch, Metropolitan Vitaly from administering ROCOR. They
      signed
      > a corresponding ACT, in accordance with which the powers of the
      > First-Hierarch are transferred to Archbishop Laurus (Shkurla) of [Holy]
      > Trinity [Monastery] and Syracuse prior to the convocation of the
      next Sobor
      > of Bishops, which is scheduled for October. His [Laurus'] name must be
      > commemorated at the divine-services in all ROCOR churches, with the
      title:
      > "Deputy (Locum Tenens) Of the First-Hierarch Of ROCOR." The
      election of a
      > new First-Hierarch is to take place at the next Sobor of Bishops.
      >
      > Metropolitan Vitaly, ROCOR's First-Hierarch, took part in the opening
      > session of the Synod of Bishops of ROCOR on 10 July [2001], which was
      > formally timed to coincide with the 50th anniversary of his service
      in the
      > episcopate; however, he demonstratively walked out of this meeting
      an hour
      > after it had begun. The cause of this action was the sharp conflict
      > between the Metropolitan and the other members of the convocation, who
      > initially had refused to allow access into the meeting-hall of
      > Archimandrite Sergius and Protopriest Nikita Orlov -- the
      secretaries who
      > had accompanied the First-Hierarch; they [the rebel bishops] then
      began to
      > upbraid the Metropolitan for his "unlawful" Encyclical Letter. In
      part,
      > Bishop Gabriel, who for many years had been the Metropolitan's
      Sub-deacon,
      > asked him, outright: "How could you distribute this epistle without
      letting
      > me know about it?" As a result, the Metropolitan walked out of the
      > meeting, saying: "We are not of like mind with you! I have nothing
      more to
      > do here!" However, contrary to ROCOR's Statutes, the meeting
      continued --
      > without the Metropolitan's presence, and without his blessing, which
      casts
      > grave doubt upon the legitimacy of all the resolutions adopted in
      such a
      > session.
      >
      > It is noteworthy that Bishop Michael, Metropolitan Vitaly's nearest
      > Vicar-bishop - who, on more than one occasion, had spoken of his
      > unconditional obedience to the First-Hierarch -- supported the
      suggestion
      > of the other hierarchs to put an end to Metropolitan Vitaly's plenary
      > powers, by reason of his "old-age and infirmity." In reply to this
      > suggestion, Metropolitan Vitaly called for the convening of an
      > extraordinary Sobor of Bishops -- which, in accordance with the
      Statutes
      > concerning ROCOR, alone possesses the competence to examine the
      question of
      > the First-Hierarch's dismissal. However, the other participants in the
      > meeting declared that there was no necessity to convene such a sobor,
      > especially when it relates to this particular issue [i.e., the issue of
      > removing the Metropolitan from office].
      >
      > In the ACT of the convocation signed by the participants, it states, in
      > part, that Archbishop Laurus is appointed to be the locum-tenens of the
      > First-Hierarch, in accordance with the decisions of the Sobor of
      2000. All
      > the documents of the ROCOR Synod of Bishops that do not bear the
      signature
      > of Archbishop Laurus are declared to be invalid and void. The
      governance
      > of the Eastern-American Eparchy is transferred to Bishop Gabriel,
      and that
      > of the Canadian Eparchy - to Bishop Michael (up to this time,
      Metropolitan
      > Vitaly had governed these two Eparchies, with the assistance of his
      > vicar-bishops).
      >
      > Commenting upon what took place at the convocation of the Synod Abroad,
      > ROCOR's conservative [Russian-language] internet-publication "The
      Church
      > Leaflet" ["Tserkovnyi Listok"] notes: "Responsibility for the
      anarchy that
      > has played out in our Church lies fully upon those hierarchs who
      oppose the
      > lawful ecclesiastical order, the President of ROCOR, his proper
      pursuit of
      > defending and upholding the Orthodox postion of the Church Abroad,
      and the
      > work of establishing peace in the Church by Vl. Metropolitan."
      >
      > The de-facto expulsion of Metropolitan Vitaly from his office as
      > First-Hierarch of ROCOR, and his eviction from the Synod (Archbishop
      Laurus
      > and Bishop Michael literally demanded that the Metropolitan "vacate"
      his
      > room in the Synod building), coincided with the "celebratory
      observance" of
      > the 50th anniversary of his hierarchical service. Despite the fact
      that
      > Metropolitan Vitaly is, at present, the senior Russian hierarch by
      > ordination [hierotonia] (in the entire Orthodox world he is "second"
      only
      > to the head of the "Matthewite" "branch" of the TOC of Greece,
      Archbishop