Re: [orthodox-synod] Gifts and Sacrifices for sins

  • Father Christopher
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 1, 2001
      St. John Chrysostom

      Homilies on the Epistle to the Hebrews
      http://www.newadvent.org/fathers/2402.htm
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: searchguy43@...
      To: orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Sunday, July 01, 2001 11:52 AM
      Subject: [orthodox-synod] Gifts and Sacrifices for sins

      The Liturgies of St. John Chrysostom and St. Basil have a phrase in them that speaks of us offering to God "gifts and spiritual sacrifices for our sins and the errors of the people." Since Hebrews 10:18 states that [when Christ's one offering was accomplished] and there was remission of sins, there is no longer any offering for sin, what do these words in the Liturgies mean? I have always understood it to mean that we are offering the gifts of bread and wine and ourselves, as well as the MEMORIAL of Christ's sacrifice/offering with praise and entreaty and thanksgiving. Any thoughts out there on this? Mark