Veneration, bows, and kisses

  • searchguy43@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 29, 2001
      My thanks to all who responded, both privately and on the list, to my questions on this issue of icons and the associated greek words and passages in Revelation. It all helped immensely. In fact, I was away on business this past week, and strangely enough, from my meetings, was able to comprehend this issue in a new way. I was at an enormous gathering of management people, of varying levels. Some are my current "bosses" and some were so in previous situations. Many were my equals in position and authority. Many I had not seen in a long time. I found myself nodding in respect to many, hugging with affection alot, shaking hands, speaking to others highly of some, and even when I saw a past respected mentor and superior from across the room, doing a slight "bow" to acknowledge him, since I couldn't get to him. Some I am so close to that I would have kissed their cheek or hand if such a thing were appropriate in the business world, such was my respect and "love" for them. It was odd, because when I caught myself doing these things almost unconsciously, I thought about this whole icon and saints issue. I see it in a whole new "family" atmosphere, and it seems totally right. I also understand now that there are different meanings to the words in greek, just like there are for say, the english word justification, in different settings. So I see now what the angel in Revelation was forbidding is not the same thing Orthodox do with icons. I also made a comment about not accepting anything a Council would say if it were against scripture. I stand by that of course, but I see now that it is impossible for an Ecumenical Council to speak contrary to scripture or holy Tradition, the Holy Spirit guiding into all truth, so it is a moot point. Sorry to ramble so long, but it was very exciting and important to me. My thanks again. Mark
    • Deacon Mark Smith
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 29, 2001
        Glory to God who reveals the truth to those who seek it.

        ---

      • Theodora
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 30, 2001
          May God grant you many years and may all our lessons be so merciful. Yes,
          it is truely great how our Faith and life are one and the lessons we can
          find if we are open. Thank you for sharing this.

          Theodora in the mountains
        • Anthony Bridges
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 2, 2001
            --- searchguy43@... wrote:
            ......It was odd,
            > because when I caught myself doing these things
            > almost unconsciously, I thought about this whole
            > icon and saints issue. I see it in a whole new
            > "family" atmosphere, and it seems totally right.

            It is totally right, and it is a family atmosphere.
            Unfortunately, sometimes families argue :-(===

            I have a feeling that you are well on your way. Don't
            apologize for rambling. It is exciting for me to read
            this sort of thing, and I would imagine for others
            also. It reminds me of my excitement in discovering
            these same things a few years back.

            Deacon Anthony

            http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/