[orthodox-synod] Re: Fwd: "Book Review Section," 25 July

  • emrys`nz
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 8, 1999
      Father Andrew,

      You are being naughty! Given Paul Inglesby's background, his present
      situation and his age, the blessing from Archbp Anthony is not without both
      common sense and charity.

      Fr Ambrose
      who never had even the slightest contact with Jesuits, apart from once
      trying (unsuccessfully) to convert a Maltese one!
      ~*~*~*~*~*

      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 9, 1999
        At 9:32 PM -0400 on 5/8/99, Father Andrew wrote:

        >I remember a pretty child (Eurocentrically speaking) who is blond-haired,
        >blue-eyed, and Dutch looking. She was in my World History Class at
        >Davenport College, Grand Rapids.
        >
        >"I believe in total depravity," she said.
        >
        >I walked over to her, looked into her little Dutch face and said: "Funny,
        >you don't look totally depraved to me."
        >
        >I don't think she got it. It's all the rest of us who are totally depraved.
        > The Elect are better than we. They do not even owe us the politeness we are
        >wont to give to dogs.

        I may well be wrong, but I don't think that Total Depravity means
        that one is "totally depraved", but only that one cannot help but
        sin, as a result of original sin.

        It was my understanding of this Calvinist doctrine that *all* are
        totally depraved (i.e., cannot help but sin), but that the elect, for
        whom (and only for whom) Christ died, are saved from damnation by
        God's irresistible Grace (i.e., they cannot help but be saved,
        because God has chosen them). Those that are not among the elect (the
        reprobate) are justly damned for their sins which they could not help
        but commit.

        Curious, really.

        Stephen.
        --