Re: [orthodox-synod] Veneration, Bows, and Kisses

  • V. J. Boitchenko
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 26, 2001
      Mark!

      The Greek "proskineo" is used by The Church whenever in the English translation the word "worship" or "bow down" is used, or "poklanyatisya" in Slavonic.

      It is used with words God, Trininty, Christ, in some cases the passions or sufferings of Christ, Ressurection of Christ, and in other cases for the Holy Cross.

      Here is an example:
      Greek: Ton Stavron Su proskinumen, Thespota, ke Tin Agian Anastassin thoxazomen.
      Slavonic: Krestu tvoemu poklonyaemsya, Vladyko, i Svyatoe Voskresenie Tvoe slavim.
      English: To Thy Cross we bow down (Greeks also translate it into English as "we venerate and worship"), O Master, and Thy Holy Resurrection we glorify.

      The 7th Council anathemized anyone, who give the icons the same honor as that which belongs to the only One. Likewise it anathemized those who do not venerate the Cross, Chalice, Gospel, and Holy Icons.

      It is ironic that you would say that you "would not care what the 7th council said" since it was the Holy Fathers and those Councils, which stated which books make the Holy Scripture.