Sorry for the bad formatting -- resending

  • Fr. Alexander Lebedeff
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 15, 2001
      From today's news:

      CANDLES ARE NOW BLAMED FOR EARTH'S POLLUTION

      Candles
      are now being blamed for global pollution problems.

      Burning
      candles can lead to high levels of pollutants, called particulates,
      released into the atmosphere.

      Research by the US Environmental Protection Agency shows the pollution from
      a burning candle can exceed standards the agency sets for outdoor air quality.

      "If
      I were someone who had a health problem like asthma, and I were looking for
      things to prevent aggravating my respiratory problems, candles and incense
      are two things I would seriously consider" getting rid of, says Michael
      Osborne of the EPA.

      ============================
      See entire story at:

      http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_326881.html?menu=news.latestheadlines

      And here I thought it was hair spray and freon!!

      So, when is the EPA going to start policing our churches for violating EPA
      guidlelines by using globally polluting candles and incense?

      With love in Christ,

      Prot. Alexander Lebedeff

      With love in Christ,

      Prot. Alexander Lebedeff
    • Deacon Mark Smith
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 15, 2001
        Do you suppose they tested beeswax candles also? I would think that they are refering to candles made from paraffin which is a nasty petroleum product, so of course it pollutes after a similar fashion with other petroleum products. Beeswax, on the other hand, burns cleanly and completely. It does not do the same kind of damage to interior paints, (icons etc).

        Deacon Mark Smith
        ROCA-Edmonton
        www.StNicholasCandles.com

[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        Click for Details

      • flue mail
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 16, 2001
          I'm a chimney sweep. In troubleshooting houses for sooting problems we
          always look at candle use. While beeswax candles burn much cleaner than
          parafin ones they still emit a substantial amount of soot. Some people are
          sensitive or allergic to small amounts of soot. I just returned from Mt.
          Athos and Serbia. In both places there were sand boxes for candles sometimes
          with flues above them for smoke removal. Although the candles were
          predominately beeswax the plenum and flue had a great deal of soot on their
          surfaces.

          Paul Ferrari
          Serbian Orthodox Church, Western America
          flue@...