[orthodox-synod] Re: The icon police

  • LJames6034@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 5, 1999
      Bless your heart, Father Ambrose,

      I, myself, would be willing to join the icon police, with reference to
      Augustine of Hippo.

      He, all-but, singlehandedly gave us Calvinism. His ineluctible logic leads
      to the notion that God created some (most?) for the sole purpose of
      torturning them, forever, in hell.

      At one time, in the West, it was argued that only the pope could go to
      heaven. There were others who argued that he couldn't either.

      it got that bad.

      All the Western churches are merely flip sides of the same Augustinian coin,
      I think.

      Glad to have your new EMail address. I tried to send you something with the
      old one, but it was returned to me.

      ALJJ
    • Deacon John Whiteford
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 6, 1999
        > I, myself, would be willing to join the icon police,
        > with reference to
        > Augustine of Hippo.
        >
        > He, all-but, singlehandedly gave us Calvinism. His
        > ineluctible logic leads
        > to the notion that God created some (most?) for the
        > sole purpose of
        > torturning them, forever, in hell.

        That is nonsense. Unlike the Calvinists, St.
        Augustine clearly taught that Adam did not have to
        fall, but fell by free choice. This is a very
        significant difference in terms of the implications
        about who God is.

        If only we had 1/2 the real sense of Orthodoxy that
        St. Augustine had on a bad day.

        http://www.orthodoxinfo.com/inquirers/bless_aug.htm

        ===