a word from the desert

  • Christopher Haas
    Message 1 of 39 , Jun 5, 2001
      Abba Bessarion said, "When you are at peace, without having to
      struggle, humiliate yourself for fear of being led astray by a joy which
      is inappropriate. We magnify ourselves and we are delivered to
      warfare. For often, because of our weakness, God does not allow us to
      be tempted, for fear we should be overcome."
      A brother who shared a lodging with other brothers asked Abba
      Bessarion, "What should I do?" The old man replied, "Keep silence and
      do not compare yourself with others."

      Venerable Bessarion the Egyptian, commemorated 6 June
    • Christopher Haas
      Message 39 of 39 , Jul 26, 2001
        Someone asked an old man, "How is it that some say, 'We see visions
        of angels'?" And he replied, "Blessed is he who always sees his sins."