Re: [orthodox-synod] What about the New Martyrs??

  • catherine elaine sullivan
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 5, 2001
      One can also add to these comments as to why ROCOR is wary of the Patriarchate-
      just within the last year representatives of the Patriarchate were in Jerusalem
      authorizing Palestinian troops to throw the ROCOR nuns and monks out from the
      monastery buildings they have operated and owned sinde the Revolution. Is this
      the act of a jurisdiction that wants to unite with ROCOR??
      --- for4z@... wrote:
      > Dear Nikolai,
      >
      > Despite the documented facts presented by other listmembers, including Fr.
      > Alexander, to explicate historical truths, you continue to repeat your same
      > accusations and personal conclusions.
      >
      > It is clear that you distrust the Russian Church Abroad. Perhaps you will
      > find a greater authority in the tens of thousands of Hierarchs and faithful
      > of RUSSIA who broke off from Sergius, SOLELY as a result of his Declaration
      > of 1927, including (off the top of my head) Metropolitan Joseph of St.
      > Petersburg, Archbishop Theodore (Pozdeevsky), Bishop Gregory (Lebedeff),
      > Bishop Victor of Glazov ...the famous Orthodox spiritual writer Sergius
      > Nilus....etc....etc...(read the lives of the New Martyrs for more examples)
      > Russia's most gifted Church Thinkers were compelled to withdraw from Sergius
      > and his followers, in addition to the common believers who joined catacomb
      > communities.
      >
      > You criticize the Church Abroad as a result of Her caution in respect to the
      > Moscow Patriarchate; however, these Holy New Martyrs of Russia should
      > demonstrate that Sergius's actions were spiritually fatal, and NOT merely of
      > political significance.
      >
      > I write this not to directly attack the Moscow Patriarchate, but rather to
      > justify the spiritual significance of the Russian Church Abroad's caution in
      > dealing with the Moscow Patriarchate.
      >
      > Nicholas Zaharov

      =====
      Catherine
    • Anthony Bridges
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 6, 2001
        --- catherine elaine sullivan <flicka68@...>
        wrote:
        One can also add to these comments as to why ROCOR
        is wary of the Patriarchate - just within the last
        year representatives of the Patriarchate were in
        Jerusalem authorizing Palestinian troops to throw the
        ROCOR nuns and monks out from the monastery buildings
        they have operated and owned sinde the Revolution. Is
        this the act of a jurisdiction that wants to unite
        with
        ROCOR??

        Father Deacon Anthony Bridges of Our Lady, Joy of All
        Who Sorrow (ROCOR) in Cumming, GA (near Atlanta)
        responds:

        Of course it is! That is how they get our attention.
        They want to unite with us on their terms, which means
        with a BIG STICK in hand. They also put pressure on
        the Serbians to break communion with us, though I
        can't prove it, and I wouldn't be surprised if they
        discouraged the Georgian Church as well from entering
        into communion with us. (I realize that sounds
        ridiculous on the face of it, since the Georgian
        Patriarchate is probably trying to be as independent
        of Moscow as possible. I just wouldn't be surprised,
        that's all.) They continue to put pressure on
        properties in the Holy Land and Europe.

        Of course they want to unite with us, the same way the
        Pope wants to unite with them! They are trying to
        soften our resolve by isolation and terrorism. But
        never doubt it: they would love nothing better than to
        unite.

        DISCLAIMER: This is only my opinion, and I will gladly
        be proven wrong, if and when we get to that point. For
        the record, I have never accused our Bishops, either
        singly, or in council, of any heresy, immorality, or
        misconduct, and I am not doing so now. Nor have I
        signed any documents, letters, or declarations stating
        any intent to wall off or distance myself from anyone.

        And again, as I have stated publicly many times: I am
        a known MOSCOW SYMPATHIZER. I do not believe they are
        beyond hope, because to believe so would be to limit
        the power of the Holy Spirit. In fact, I pray for the
        rebirth of Orthodoxy in Russia.

        =====

        a year! http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/