a word from the desert

  • Christopher Haas
    Message 1 of 39 , Jun 5, 2001
      One day a man possessed with a devil came to Scetis, and they
      prayed over him, but the devil did not leave him, for it was obstinate.
      The priests said, "What can we do against this devil? No one can drive
      him away, except Abba Bessarion, but if we call him, he will not come,
      even to the church. Therefore let us do this: since he comes to church
      early, before anyone else, let us make the possessed sleep here, and
      when he comes, let us keep to our prayer, and say to him, 'Abba, awaken
      the brother.'" This is what they did. When the old man came early,
      they kept to their prayer and said to him, "Awaken the brother." The
      old man said to him, "Arise and go." Immediately the devil departed
      from him and from that hour he was healed.

      Venerable Bessarion of Egypt, commemorated 6 June
    • Christopher Haas
      Message 39 of 39 , Jul 26, 2001
        Someone asked an old man, "How is it that some say, 'We see visions
        of angels'?" And he replied, "Blessed is he who always sees his sins."