What about the New Martyrs??

  • for4z@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 5, 2001
      Dear Nikolai,

      Despite the documented facts presented by other listmembers, including Fr. Alexander, to explicate historical truths, you continue to repeat your same accusations and personal conclusions.

      It is clear that you distrust the Russian Church Abroad. Perhaps you will find a greater authority in the tens of thousands of Hierarchs and faithful of RUSSIA who broke off from Sergius, SOLELY as a result of his Declaration of 1927, including (off the top of my head) Metropolitan Joseph of St. Petersburg, Archbishop Theodore (Pozdeevsky), Bishop Gregory (Lebedeff), Bishop Victor of Glazov ...the famous Orthodox spiritual writer Sergius Nilus....etc....etc...(read the lives of the New Martyrs for more examples) Russia's most gifted Church Thinkers were compelled to withdraw from Sergius and his followers, in addition to the common believers who joined catacomb communities.

      You criticize the Church Abroad as a result of Her caution in respect to the Moscow Patriarchate; however, these Holy New Martyrs of Russia should demonstrate that Sergius's actions were spiritually fatal, and NOT merely of political significance.

      I write this not to directly attack the Moscow Patriarchate, but rather to justify the spiritual significance of the Russian Church Abroad's caution in dealing with the Moscow Patriarchate.

      Nicholas Zaharov
    • catherine elaine sullivan
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 5, 2001
        One can also add to these comments as to why ROCOR is wary of the Patriarchate-
        just within the last year representatives of the Patriarchate were in Jerusalem
        authorizing Palestinian troops to throw the ROCOR nuns and monks out from the
        monastery buildings they have operated and owned sinde the Revolution. Is this
        the act of a jurisdiction that wants to unite with ROCOR??
        --- for4z@... wrote:
        > Dear Nikolai,
        >
        > Despite the documented facts presented by other listmembers, including Fr.
        > Alexander, to explicate historical truths, you continue to repeat your same
        > accusations and personal conclusions.
        >
        > It is clear that you distrust the Russian Church Abroad. Perhaps you will
        > find a greater authority in the tens of thousands of Hierarchs and faithful
        > of RUSSIA who broke off from Sergius, SOLELY as a result of his Declaration
        > of 1927, including (off the top of my head) Metropolitan Joseph of St.
        > Petersburg, Archbishop Theodore (Pozdeevsky), Bishop Gregory (Lebedeff),
        > Bishop Victor of Glazov ...the famous Orthodox spiritual writer Sergius
        > Nilus....etc....etc...(read the lives of the New Martyrs for more examples)
        > Russia's most gifted Church Thinkers were compelled to withdraw from Sergius
        > and his followers, in addition to the common believers who joined catacomb
        > communities.
        >
        > You criticize the Church Abroad as a result of Her caution in respect to the
        > Moscow Patriarchate; however, these Holy New Martyrs of Russia should
        > demonstrate that Sergius's actions were spiritually fatal, and NOT merely of
        > political significance.
        >
        > I write this not to directly attack the Moscow Patriarchate, but rather to
        > justify the spiritual significance of the Russian Church Abroad's caution in
        > dealing with the Moscow Patriarchate.
        >
        > Nicholas Zaharov

        =====
        Catherine
      • Anthony Bridges
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 6, 2001
          --- catherine elaine sullivan <flicka68@...>
          wrote:
          One can also add to these comments as to why ROCOR
          is wary of the Patriarchate - just within the last
          year representatives of the Patriarchate were in
          Jerusalem authorizing Palestinian troops to throw the
          ROCOR nuns and monks out from the monastery buildings
          they have operated and owned sinde the Revolution. Is
          this the act of a jurisdiction that wants to unite
          with
          ROCOR??

          Father Deacon Anthony Bridges of Our Lady, Joy of All
          Who Sorrow (ROCOR) in Cumming, GA (near Atlanta)
          responds:

          Of course it is! That is how they get our attention.
          They want to unite with us on their terms, which means
          with a BIG STICK in hand. They also put pressure on
          the Serbians to break communion with us, though I
          can't prove it, and I wouldn't be surprised if they
          discouraged the Georgian Church as well from entering
          into communion with us. (I realize that sounds
          ridiculous on the face of it, since the Georgian
          Patriarchate is probably trying to be as independent
          of Moscow as possible. I just wouldn't be surprised,
          that's all.) They continue to put pressure on
          properties in the Holy Land and Europe.

          Of course they want to unite with us, the same way the
          Pope wants to unite with them! They are trying to
          soften our resolve by isolation and terrorism. But
          never doubt it: they would love nothing better than to
          unite.

          DISCLAIMER: This is only my opinion, and I will gladly
          be proven wrong, if and when we get to that point. For
          the record, I have never accused our Bishops, either
          singly, or in council, of any heresy, immorality, or
          misconduct, and I am not doing so now. Nor have I
          signed any documents, letters, or declarations stating
          any intent to wall off or distance myself from anyone.

          And again, as I have stated publicly many times: I am
          a known MOSCOW SYMPATHIZER. I do not believe they are
          beyond hope, because to believe so would be to limit
          the power of the Holy Spirit. In fact, I pray for the
          rebirth of Orthodoxy in Russia.

          =====

          a year! http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/