Re: members and friends of ROCA - please post

  • Andrea Schulze
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 1, 2001
      --- In orthodox-synod@y..., Rev Mark Gilstrap <fr.mark@s...> wrote:
      > Dear list,
      >

      > > Since the reincarnation of the Orthodox-ROCOR list it
      > seems to me like there has been a dearth of postings here on
      > Orthodox-Synod and that this vaccuum has been filled by non-ROCA
      > views. However, now that there is that forum where MP and OCA
      > clergy are allowed to post freely and conservative ROCA clergy
      > are moderated, I think it is time to contract a bit and limit
      > this list to ROCA's friends as defined by the list's purpose.
      > By this I do not mean to restrict ROCA members' various opinions.

      Dear Father Mark,

      Actually it is a pity to have all those many lists: synod, roca,
      juristictions, paradosis... the topics discussed are more or less the
      same on all of them. In the case of Father Mihail Rahr I think yoou
      are not quite fair to him. He is not an enemy of ROCA or ROCOR (why
      do you make a difference here)- he is just critical to some points in
      the history of ROCA/ROCOR and gives us his arguments. I do not think
      it is neither "propaganda" as you put it nor slander. I follow his
      discourses with Fathers Alexander Lebedeff, Father John Shaw and
      Father John Whitford with great interest. All of them are very well
      informed and it is for me very edifying. I have got a lot to think
      about now and I am sure others think so as well. After all, when else
      does one have the opportunity to get such an information? I do not
      read Russian I have not the means to get hold of all those books,
      letters etc. Here I get the important things with commentaries from
      educated clergy whom I respect very much.
      Why should we in ROCA/ROCOR be afraid of these discussions? History
      is always a question of interpretation. Time goes by and some things
      are seen in a different light, from another angle. Why should we be
      afraid? we are not hiding anything - we believe in ROCOR being a
      ligitimate canonical Russian Orthodox Church. What is the use of an
      exclusive forum when you do not admit other points of view? And
      indeed, I am very much surprised that a native American deprives
      someone the freedom of speech.
      I think it extremely fair of father Alexander Lebedeff, who has done
      so much to edify us converts all over the world via his postings that
      he allows different points of view on his jurisdictions list. If you
      do not like a certain posting - you are the moderator! Why silence
      him or her? Give an adequate answer or lead the discussion into the
      rifht direction. But making accusations against someone and not give
      him the chance to answer is just not right. At least I think so.

      Anastasia

    • fr.mark@stjamesok.org
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 1, 2001
        --- In orthodox-synod@y..., "Andrea Schulze" <anastasia_schulze@y...>
        wrote:

        > Actually it is a pity to have all those many lists: synod, roca,
        > juristictions, paradosis... the topics discussed are more or less
        the
        > same on all of them.

        I disagree that the topics are more or less the same. True
        one can find teh same contention provoking topics on each,
        but that is what I am trying to change.

        I think I also disagree with the pitiableness. As Fr
        Gregory sais, we don't have time for all this contention.

        Fr Alexander created the jurisdictions list to draw away
        the unedifying (to most) interjurisdictional debate from
        the main ORTHODOX list (@...). From what
        you say Fr John allows (and maybe enjoys?) such discussions
        on his ROCOR list and there's nothing wrong with that, but
        can we not have a place free of this tension of constant
        dialectic between Eastern Catholics, Moscow Patriarchate
        or whatever? Is ROCA such a limited interest group
        that we have nothing to discuss or disseminate amongst
        ourselves? I created orthodox-synod nearly ten years
        ago as the first sublist of the ORTHODOX list and as a
        refuge from this fare which is available on so many other
        forums as you have noted. Especially before a Great Feast
        such fare always degrades - to the joy of whom?

        priest Mark