a word from the desert

  • Christopher Haas
    Message 1 of 39 , May 29, 2001
      It was said of Abba John the Short that he withdrew and lived in
      the desert at Scete with an old man of Thebes. His abba, taking a stick
      of dry wood, planted it and said to him, "Water it every day with a jug
      of water, until it bears fruit." Now the water was so far away that he
      had to leave in the evening and return the following morning. At the
      end of three years the wood came to life and bore fruit. Then the old
      man took some of the fruit and carried it to the church, saying to the
      brethren, "Take and eat the fruit of obedience!"
    • Christopher Haas
      Message 39 of 39 , Jul 26, 2001
        Someone asked an old man, "How is it that some say, 'We see visions
        of angels'?" And he replied, "Blessed is he who always sees his sins."