[orthodox-synod] About Little Galya

  • intrprtr@prodigy.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 2, 1999
      ABOUT LITTLE GALYA

      There I am, sitting in my office after the Sunday Liturgy, with my
      parishioners. We are engaged in conversation..

      Out in the hallway, a child is crying.
      We continue our conversation.

      The crying grows more intensified and becomes heavy sobbing.
      We do not interrupt our conversation.

      The child's sobbing becomes hysterical. So, unable to bear it any longer,
      I go out into the hall to see the "cruel" parents.

      And here's the picture that meets my eyes: papa and mama are standing
      there, dumbfounded. Between them, pressed up against the wall, is a
      wee-little, curly-haired tyke of a girl, with her mouth stretched wide to
      wail, its spread being wider by far than even the distance between her
      shoulders.

      Question: "Why are we tormenting the child, my dear parents?"

      Response: "Well, _batiushka_, it's like this, you see: we brought her to be
      baptized; but, as soon as we found out that she needs god-parents, we
      turned back. And that's when she" -- they point to the tyke -- "starts to
      bawl her head off!"

      And the tyke is really bawling. She bellows with all her might; she wails
      like one who has lost all hope..., and the more hopeless the situation
      appears, the stronger does her bellowing become.

      "What do they call you, little girl?"

      She bawls.

      The parents: "Galya."

      "And how old are you?"

      She bellows even more.

      The parents: "Three and a half years old..."

      I say:

      "Galya, let's make a deal: as soon as you get some god-parents, I'll
      baptize you right away. Agreed?"

      Galya suddenly grows quiet and nods her head, yes.

      "Have we got a deal, Galya?"

      "We godda dea-w," the child responds, growing quiet, and allowing her
      parents to dress her.

      That is how one little person showed me, a sinner, the way that one needs
      to strive towards God -- with all one's strength of soul, to the very
      uttermost, stopping for nothing.

      But, then, that's Galya, for you, who is three and a half years old...

      ( There was no attribution of authorship in the Russian text, but this
      piece was most-likely written by Fr. Dimitrii [ Kaplun ]. )

      Translated by G. Spruksts from the Russian text appearing in "Zlatoust" [ =
      "Chrysostom" ], the Newspaper Of the Orthodox
      Christians [ of the Jewish Region ] Of Birobidjan. English-language
      translation copyright (c) 1999 by The St. Stefan Of Perm' Guild, The
      Russian Cultural Heritage Society, and the Translator. All Rights Reserved.