[orthodox-synod] Re: [rocaclergy] No Subject

  • Rev. John R. Shaw
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 2, 1999
      There are numerous Old Believers in Romania, with their own hierarchy.
      In the time of Patriarch Justinian there was a plan for them to join the
      Patriarchate of Romania.

      On Sun, 1 Aug 1999, Agape Community wrote:

      > A glorious Feast of the Prophet Elijah!
      >
      > A traveller arrived here with an astonishing story, of the "submission" of
      > the three major Old Believer groups in this country to the.... Romanian
      > Patriarchate! This seems about as likely as the Amish submitting to The
      > Episcopal Church, but most rumors have some grain of truth behind them.
      > Anybody know anything?
      > --- St. John of Kronstadt Press
      > 1180 Orthodox Way
      > Liberty TN 37095 USA
      > 615/536-5239 (voice)
      > 615/536-5945 (fax)
      > agape@...
      >
      > Check our web site at http://www.roca.org/kronstadt/

      > NO annual fee & rates as low as 9.9% FIXED APR. Apply online today!
      > http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/606
      >

      > eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/rocaclergy

    • Michael Worley
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 14, 1999
        Happy New Year, everyone. What a neat feast.

      • Deacon John Whiteford
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 26, 1999
          I learned just a bit ago that the defense rested
          today. I have not said what I am about to say until
          know because there was the possibility that I would be
          called to testify.

          First of here's what I don't know with absolute
          certainty:

          I don't know that with absolute certainty what
          actually did or did not transpire between the boy in
          question and Fr. Jeremiah. Only God, and those two
          can speak with that level of certainty.

          Thus, I cannot say with absolute certainty that the
          charges are false, or that the boy is a liar, or
          anything like that. That I cannot know at this point,
          and probably never will.

          I *believe* Fr. Jeremiah's denials. I have not spoken
          with the boy in question about his accusations, nor
          his mother... and so I cannot say that I have had an
          upfront opportunity to evaluate their testimony. I do
          know them both. My recollections of both of them are
          fond. The boy's mother was present at the birth of my
          daughter Elizabeth, and I remember her as a nice
          person... and so none of what I am about to say is
          intended as a slam against either of them. I don't
          want to wrongly judge them any more than I would want
          to wrongly judge Fr. Jeremiah... and so in the absence
          of absolute proof, I make no absolute judgment on the
          matter one way or the other.

          So... you might ask, why do I believe Fr. Jeremiah's
          denials? For one, the accused is granted by our legal
          system and by both canon law and Scripture a certain
          benefit of the doubt. In the canons and in Scripture,
          we are told to not receive an accusation against a
          Presbyter, unless it comes from two or three
          witnesses. I don't believe that this threshold has
          been met in this case.

          Furthermore, I am inclined to believe Fr. Jeremiah's
          denials because of a few things that I know for sure.

          I received a call from a man (who I knew previously,
          and who is a lawyer) in 1998, some time around the end
          of the summer or in the early fall (I recall for
          certain that it was a Saturday afternoon, because I
          was getting ready for Vigil). He called me up and
          asked how to get in touch with the mother of the boy
          in question. During the course of that conversation,
          he stated that he was working for unnamed clients, who
          had unspecified grievances with the monastery. He
          also said that the reason he wanted to get in touch
          with this woman was that he wanted �to find out why
          she took her son out of that monastery.�

          This doesn�t prove that the charges are false, but it
          does raise the question of whether the charges were
          the result of a victim in search of justice, or simply
          a lawyer in search of a victim (because he was sure
          that the monastery was guilty of something, but just
          needed to find out what it was). I believe he is well
          intentioned, but this gives me reasons to doubt the
          charges� more so than if the alleged victim spoke up
          on his own accord. I would also be somewhat less
          inclined to doubt the charges were it not for the fact
          that they are associated with 60 million dollar
          lawsuit (which has named individuals with nothing to
          do with the alleged crimes, but who happen to have
          lots of money). Again, this does not prove the
          charges are false, but it certainly does raise the
          question of motivation.

          And getting back to a point that was brought up
          earlier on the Orthodox-Synod list � it sounds from
          what many have been saying as if this specific charge
          had been floating around for years, and that our
          bishops ignored it. This is not the case. Prior to
          the call I received in late 1998, no such charge had
          been made. This charge is quite serious, but take
          away this charge, and prior to that what we had
          amounted to little more than gossip, certainly nothing
          substantial enough to warrant a canonical trial. Our
          Bishops cannot be faulted for following the Scriptural
          and canonical guidelines regarding the handling of
          such things.

          [And if anyone wishes to argue that there was more
          substantial evidence prior to this, I will only say
          that whenever people mentioned such rumors to me, I
          always asked for evidence, but was never provided with
          anything to substantiate them.]

          Also, there have been charges of rampant drug use in
          the monastery. Specifically pot smoking. Again, one
          never knows for sure. No doubt with enough effort,
          all of these monks could have pulled the wool over my
          eyes on this� but in my younger days, I lived in some
          pretty bad neighborhoods, and had a brother who was a
          drug addict, and I know how pot smokers smell, I know
          how their fingers get stained, I know how the smell
          gets in their hair and stays on their hands despite
          washing, and I know how they act. I find it
          impossible to believe that these monks were smoking
          weed all of this time, and I never saw any of the
          clues.

          I would not defend everything the monastery has done.
          I wish they had done some things differently... I
          suspect that they do to, but as convenient as it would
          be to keep my mouth shut and wish they would
          disappear, my conscience does not allow me to remain
          silent about these things. If doing things that were
          tacky were a crime, I would advise them to throw
          themselves on the mercy of the court... but I don't
          believe that they are guilty of these things.

          Tomorrow we will no doubt have a verdict. Given the
          fact that the judge did not allow a change of venue,
          and given that (so I have been told) the jury has on
          it the wife of the foreman of the grand jury that
          issued the original indictments (because in Blanco
          county, this was the closest they could come to an
          impartial jury), the verdict may well be �guilty.� I
          would advise you all to refrain from judging Fr.
          Jeremiah even then for the following reasons:

          1. None of us can be sure of what happened, and so do
          we really want to risk judging someone falsely?

          2. If the verdict is guilty, it will likely be
          successfully appealed for several reasons, but
          certainly the failure to allow a change of venue being
          the foremost among them.

          3. There are numerous examples of people being
          convicted of such things, and going to prison for
          years, only to be vindicated years later. There was a
          special on Dateline, or some other news show like it,
          in which a husband and wife were convicted of engaging
          in satanic ritual abuse of their own children � and
          their children testified against them, only for it to
          come out 15 years later that those children had been
          manipulated into testifying as they did. I would not
          want to have on my conscience that I added to the
          grief of such a person, by not being merciful to them,
          and praying for them rather than mocking them or
          enjoying their misery.

          No one calling themselves a Christian should be
          enjoying any of this. This is a tragedy for all
          concerned.

          -Deacon John Whiteford

          =====
        • William Redondo
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 5, 1999
            COuld you please remove me from the egroup listing.
            There are just too many messages to process!
            Thanks Bill
          • Nikolaj
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 2, 2000
              Dear Friends in Christ
              I got this below request from a very pious serbian woman who does a tremendous piece of work
              translating articles for the KDN and other online news services.
              She is not only working very hard and unselfish for the publishing of information about Kosovo, but also a good friend in Christ.
              Please let me know if you can help us with this one? I am not very clever translating serbian to english.
              I thank you humbly
              In Christ
              Nikolaj

              > i have been struggling with english equivalents for positions within the
              > hierarchy of the serbian orthodox church, i.e., terms such as
              > 'protojerej stavrofor' and 'protonamjesnik' (which i translated as
              > 'archpriest stavrophor' and 'head priest' respectively but i am not sure
              > at all that this is correct!)
              >
              > do you know where i might find (on the web) or do you have any sort of
              > guide or dictionary which may be useful? i would greatly appreciate it.
              > i believe that the russian and serbian churches follow the same or very
              > similar hierarchies and the greek roots are certainly the same.
            • Nikolaj
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 1, 2000
                Letter to the World from Sisters Martha and Xenia
                Jan 19/Feb 1 2000
                St. Macarius the Great

                Sr. Xenia and I are in our third week, our eighteenth day of self-imposed captivity at our Jericho monastery. Here we remain in our abandoned cement-floor room, paint chips falling from the ceiling, water seeping in the sides. No sink or shower to use, a trip to the outdoor toilet means passing by the Palestinian soldiers assembled outside our doors day and night. They predict snow again this weekend in Jerusalem -- more cold rain and dampness for us here in Jericho.

                In a bitter irony our would-be evictors have become our protectors, our guardians from the Soviet men, bare-chested, chain smoking, housed in the apartment above the chapel only twenty feet from our quarters. The raucous laughter and menacing gestures of these Russian men (why are they here in a place of prayer?) make it uncomfortable for us to venture more than twenty yards from our room. With a soldier at our side from time to time we can make the 100 yard trip to the locked gate where our fellow monks and nuns stand vigil day and night, praying for us, passing food parcels and notes of encouragement from people all over the world - Germany, Argentina, Australia, England, Russia, the US on our behalf. Our deepest thanks to all of you. Your words and prayers mean more than you can imagine.

                Why are we here?

                The Palestinians have not yet perfected the art of "freedom" that characterizes a Communist system. Our prison door remains halfway open and with that ray of light I am under moral obligation to tell the world about the lack of religious freedom of the Moscow Patriarchate and it's ally in arms, the Russian government.

                I have to speak for Father Alexander Zharkov, a simple priest of the Moscow Patriarchate, a loving spiritual father to his flock. Tired of the arbitrariness, the lack of spirituality of his MP bishops in June, 1997 he petitioned the bishops of the Russian Orthodox Church Abroad to be under them. From that moment on he was incessantly harassed by Russian security officials. On Sunday September 14th 1997, worried that he had not returned home by that evening his wife began to make calls. She found the body of Fr. Alexander in the local morgue, a bullet in the head and the chest. He had been run over by a car for good measure.

                I have to speak for the brave single souls, the pious women (babushkas) in Obayan and Tomsk and St. Petersburg and their bishops, Eutychius and Benjamin, followers of the ROCA who struggle to keep open their house churches though they know at any moment they could be arrested and their places of worship destroyed.

                I have to speak about the deceit of Yeltsin and of the Moscow Patriarch Alexis II who proudly tout their Freedom of Conscience law - freedom given only to those Orthodox believers who submit to the Moscow Patriarchate.

                I have to speak for the countless believers and priests in the MP who know full well the corruption of their bishops, the lack of separation of Church and State in Russia, but who are powerless, who do not have a voice to speak out.

                They are powerless before their bishops, their Patriarch Alexis II, better known in KGB files as Agent Drozdov, a revelation so bravely revealed by Fr. Gleb Yakunin in 1991.

                I have to speak out about the lies Patriarch Alexis II pronounces to this day - those both great and small.

                A small one: Last week Tass News Agency reported that Patriarch Alexis II charged that the Russian Orthodox Church Abroad does not open it's Holy Land sites to he peoples of Russia, Byelorussian and the Ukraine. Patriarch Alexis, must we send you the photographs from January 7th 2000 - Christmas Day, when 100 members of the Moscow seminary choir and their priests visited our Convent of St. Mary Magdalene in Gethsemane, toured the Church and were treated to an on-the-spot meal by our sisters? Would you like to meet one of our Palestinian nuns who runs the gift shop who has so diligently learned Russian in order to accommodate the numerous Russian pilgrims who pass through our gates?

                A big one: Patriarch Alexis, you say Church and State are separate and free in Russia today. Why then are there more Russian diplomats, consular officials and functionaries than MP monks in Jericho monastery, a house of prayer, today? Could the reports from high ranking Israeli officials that the Russian government plans to convert this Jericho monastery into a consulate be true? The MP protests that ROCA churches do not care for the Holy Land sites, do not care for the pilgrims. Will a consulate on the ruins of the sixth century church better serve the religious needs of Russian Orthodox believers than a monastery?

                And as I have a small crack to speak out I must ask the countries who say they stand for freedom, for the rule of law, where are your voices now?

                Ministers of Israel, Natan Sharenshy and Yuli Edelstein, you were prisoners of conscience, "refuseniks" - we too are refuseniks. We too know the stench of repression - the tapped phones, the knock on the door, the "friends" sent only to inform on and watch our every gesture, our every word.

                Freedom for only a few is freedom for none. Show your integrity now, your belief that all people have a right to religious freedom - Jews, Muslims or Christians.

                To the United States and members of the World Bank, do you understand how your experiment has failed. Strobe Talbott, you want Russia to follow democratic principles. World Bank President Wolfsohn, you may want Russia to adapt a free-market economy. Has it not become glaringly obvious that a country that has had its moral fiber snapped cannot bear the weight of following principles of freedom and democracy?

                The regeneration of a free Russia cannot possibly take place without a moral rebirth. A moral rebirth cannot take place without a cleansing and renewal of its largest religious body - the Orthodox Church. US, if you allow the continued silencing of the voice of the free part of the Russian Orthodox Church, the taking away of our churches in the Holy Land, you will most assuredly consign Russia to a continued state of decadence and corruption which no billions of dollars will be able to remedy.

                And finally I speak to you my beloved friends, the common people I live and work with in Palestine. I know your beautiful hospitality, your humble grace amid the oppression you have suffered for so many years. I know this crack in the door is open to me because in your basic goodness you simply do not know how, do not comprehend in your beautiful hearts how to close that door. It is my deepest prayer that your leaders - your Yassir Arafat, Abu Mazen, General Rajoub, Sarb Erekat - do not succumb to the principles of totalitarianism and corruption. Your people have suffered too long, are too good to be betrayed by their leaders in such a manner now.
              • Nikolaj
                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 2, 2000

                  "Dukhovnye Kazaki
                  Ego Imperatoskogo