[orthodox-synod] Re: [rocaclergy] No Subject

  • Alex Borodin
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 1, 1999
      > A glorious Feast of the Prophet Elijah!
      >
      > A traveller arrived here with an astonishing story, of the "submission" of
      > the three major Old Believer groups in this country to the.... Romanian
      > Patriarchate! This seems about as likely as the Amish submitting to The
      > Episcopal Church, but most rumors have some grain of truth behind them.
      > Anybody know anything?

      Dear Father,

      This is quite likely because a fairly large group in Sydney, Australia have
      already done the same a few years ago. They are currently building a rather
      large new church in Auburn, but there are another group who are opposed and
      who say they are part of the Moscow Church (?) what they mean by Moscow
      Church, I do not know. I doubt that they mean the Moscow Patriarchate, but
      probably they have their own Old Believer hierarchy there.

      Deacon Alexander.
    • Rev. John R. Shaw
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 2, 1999
        In Moscow there is the Rogozh Gate Cemetery, where the Old Believers have
        a major center. The Belokrinitsky Hierarchy is headed by Metropolitan
        Alympy; there is another "jurisdiction" called the Novozybkov Hierarchy;
        and besides these, there are also "Edinovertsy" who are part of the
        Moscow Patriarchate but follow the Old Rite.

        > > A traveller arrived here with an astonishing story, of the "submission" of
        > > the three major Old Believer groups in this country to the.... Romanian
        > > Patriarchate! This seems about as likely as the Amish submitting to The
        > > Episcopal Church, but most rumors have some grain of truth behind them.
        > > Anybody know anything?
        >
        > Dear Father,
        >
        > This is quite likely because a fairly large group in Sydney, Australia have
        > already done the same a few years ago. They are currently building a rather
        > large new church in Auburn, but there are another group who are opposed and
        > who say they are part of the Moscow Church (?) what they mean by Moscow
        > Church, I do not know. I doubt that they mean the Moscow Patriarchate, but
        > probably they have their own Old Believer hierarchy there.
        >
        > Deacon Alexander.

        > http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/630
        >

        > eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/orthodox-synod

      • Fr. Simon
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 16, 1999
          Dear Fr. Alexander,
          Sorry that it has taken me so long to respond to this rumor. I was on
          vacation the last week and a half and didn't see this post until today.
          I think the confusion is that the Belokrinitsky hierarchy that was
          established in the mid 19th Century had two significant centers - in Moscow
          at the Rogoshskoe Cemetary and at Byelo Krinitsa which was then part of
          Austria- now part of the Ukraine. The Soviet period made communication very
          difficult between the two regions. Many of the Old Believers in the Byelo
          Krinitsa region ended in Romania. These two centers - while part of the same
          "Church" have had very separate histories and administrations. When some of
          the Old Believers in Oregon and Alaska decided to seek the restoration of
          priesthood, they sought it from the "Romanian" episcopacy. This could cause
          people to believe that they are under the Romanian Patriarchate. In fact,
          they are simply under their own Old Believer hierarchy rather than under the
          "Moscow" hierarchy headed by Metropolitan Alympy.
          For years members of this hierarchy have tried to convince me to bring my
          parish under their Old Believer hierarchy, while I have tried to convince
          them to regularize their Church by bringing it into communion with our
          Church. As far back as the late "80's" I attended a session of the Synod
          meeting of our bishops - including Metropolitan Vitaly- who encouraged me to
          try to bring about this rapproachment if the Old Believers would recognize
          the validity of our Church. So far I have not been able to convince the
          Byelokrinitsky hierarchies of either Romania or Moscow to take this step,
          but I continue to work toward that goal.
          I know that this doesn't directly speak to the post, but I am sure that the
          Old Believers of Romania have not come into communion with the Romanian
          Patriarchate, and I think the rumor is probably based on this confusion. If
          I am wrong I would be shocked!
          In Christ,
          Fr. Pimen