a word from the desert

  • chaas@email.vill.edu
    Message 1 of 39 , May 8 5:22 AM
      An elderly (Athonite) hermit said, "Of a monk's virtues, the
      very first is obedience. The one in the middle is obedience, and the
      last one is obedience and 'Lord have mercy.'"
      And again he said, "Have you found a spiritual father? You have
      found paradise. Obedience is both the most intelligent and the
      shortest way to find God. Try to get a sweet taste of it from the
      beginning. Then continue on bravely, and on the way you will gather
      God's blessings in your sack."

      from An Athonite Gerontikon
    • Christopher Haas
      Message 39 of 39 , Jul 26, 2001
        Someone asked an old man, "How is it that some say, 'We see visions
        of angels'?" And he replied, "Blessed is he who always sees his sins."