Re: [orthodox-synod] AN UKAZ CONCERNING THE BANNING OF THE CLERGY OF THE WESTERN-EUROPEAN EPARCHY

  • Vladimir Kozyreff
    Message 1 of 38 , May 3, 2001
      Dear Father Maximos,

      You wrote:

      >My understanding is the Synod was aware of the substance of the
      >accusations of the clergy who opposed his appointment. The Council of
      >Bishops exercised their legitimate canonical authority in the matter
      >and chose to disregard the protests against the appointment and to
      >appoint Vladyka Ambrose as Ruling Bishop.
      >The accusations are just that, accusations and the canon are very
      >clear about the Bishops authority to accept and disregard accusations
      >in such matters. As for our "right to know" it is non-existent, the
      >particular method of disposing of canonical disciplinary matters is
      >not a public event.

      My main concern is not that the canon has not been adhered to. I am just
      concerned that the Truth has not been adhered to. I would like to be
      reasured about this. So far, I have not been able to.

      I have already been told that orthodox should listen to the Church, not to
      their conscience when the two speak with different voices. I know that the
      Synod has the right not to say anything. But why does he use that right so
      intensively? I would like to hear another discourse, like one that would at
      last address the matter, not the form.

      I suppose the Church can also do something in this direction, that this is
      not in opposition with the canons. Apparently, she does nothing, in spite of
      so many asking to understand. The teaching role of the Church is essential,
      and the canons are not the main topic. When people used to ask questions to
      Christ, He did not answer by quoting any Standard Operative Procedures or
      canon. He basked the question and never said: "You have no right to know".

      If the Church did answer the question already, it has not been apparent.
      That means she has not been convincing. The perception is that she is hiding
      behind her right not to disclose anything to lead us to a direction we do
      not understand.

      Yours in Christ, desperately looking for an answer, asking your prayers,

      VK
    • catherine elaine sullivan
      Message 38 of 38 , May 7, 2001
        Elizabeth- I'm with you there. Sometimes Orthodox people (especially in this
        country) behave as if we were a Congregational church, where everything is up
        for majority vote!
        --- "Dr. Elizabeth W. Riggs" <ewriggs@...> wrote:
        > On 2 May 01, at 17:53, rsjmil wrote:
        >

        > > What is missing from this situation is any information regarding their
        > > disagreement with their appointed Bishop. Could it be they have a
        > > factual case? If they do, there are better, more Canonical ways of
        > > dealing with it. There must be some reason why they are so opposed to
        > > Bishop Ambroise (spelling from the Directory.) What are the facts? And
        > > is he Bishop or Archbishop now?
        > >
        > > Jos M
        >
        > As Aslan would say, "that is not your story." This is a matter that
        > should not affect any except those directly involved - the clergy and
        > some of the laity in France and the Synod of Bishops. No one else is
        > involved. It is none of our business. The Synod of Bishops has spoken
        > and that's it.
        >
        > All this nosing around and looking for reasons for dissention is NOT
        > Orthodox. It is more like a bunch of American Protestants.
        >
        > How many Protestant churches are there in a town? One more than the
        > number of Protestants.
        >
        > If we don't take care our Orthodox Churches will end up with as many
        > splinter groups as the Protestants. Again, this is NOT Orthodox.
        >
        > We all need to grow up, get a life and involve ourselves in our OWN
        > parishes and not everyone else's parishes. If we work to build up the
        > Body of Christ at our own local level and avoid pointing fingers at
        > others, if we work on obedience to our Bishop and avoid looking for
        > reasons to dissent, we are more likely to see Orthodoxy thrive.
        >
        > The Synod of Bishops is not a body elected by "the peepul." They are
        > appointed by the rest of the Bishops through the grace of the Holy
        > Spirit. Could it be possible that the Bishops know some things that
        > "wee the peepul" don't know? Could it be possible that God is working
        > through our hierarchy to further His Kingdom? Absolutely.
        >
        > It's time to let all this stuff go and get on with helping each other
        > develop spiritually in an Orthodox manner.
        >
        > Just my $0.02 worth.
        >

        > Yours in Christ,
        > Elizabeth Riggs, a sinner
        > and Perennial Student
        > http://www.angelfire.com/ga/riggs/index.html
        > Our Lady, the Joy of All Who Sorrow Church (ROCOR)
        > Cumming, GA USA (Atlanta, GA area)
        > http://www.churchabroad.org
        > Glory to Jesus Christ! Glory Forever!

        =====