Re: [orthodox-synod] Re: AN UKAZ CONCERNING THE BANNING OF THE CLERGY OF THE WESTERN-EUROPEAN EPARCHY

  • Fr. Anthony Nelson
    Message 1 of 38 , May 3, 2001
      gsnroc@... wrote:

      > This stupid layman would like to know why the concerns of
      >several clergy about Bishop Ambrose,which were brought to the
      >attention of the Synod before his appointment,were not addressed
      >before things got to this point.I will attempt to engage my half-
      >brain in pondering the answer if one is forthcoming.

      A rather simple (and simply true) answer to that question would be: those
      who are not involved directly in the matter have no right to be privy to
      whatever action/discussion the Bishops undertook, thus we were not informed
      and will not be. In addition to that, those who continue to make the
      mindless claim that concerns raised by some clergy were not addressed by
      the Synod of Bishops are overlooking one important fact: Bishop Ambrose
      *was* appointed! That in itself is a de facto addressing of the "concerns"
      raised.

      Fr. Anthony
    • catherine elaine sullivan
      Message 38 of 38 , May 7, 2001
        Elizabeth- I'm with you there. Sometimes Orthodox people (especially in this
        country) behave as if we were a Congregational church, where everything is up
        for majority vote!
        --- "Dr. Elizabeth W. Riggs" <ewriggs@...> wrote:
        > On 2 May 01, at 17:53, rsjmil wrote:
        >

        > > What is missing from this situation is any information regarding their
        > > disagreement with their appointed Bishop. Could it be they have a
        > > factual case? If they do, there are better, more Canonical ways of
        > > dealing with it. There must be some reason why they are so opposed to
        > > Bishop Ambroise (spelling from the Directory.) What are the facts? And
        > > is he Bishop or Archbishop now?
        > >
        > > Jos M
        >
        > As Aslan would say, "that is not your story." This is a matter that
        > should not affect any except those directly involved - the clergy and
        > some of the laity in France and the Synod of Bishops. No one else is
        > involved. It is none of our business. The Synod of Bishops has spoken
        > and that's it.
        >
        > All this nosing around and looking for reasons for dissention is NOT
        > Orthodox. It is more like a bunch of American Protestants.
        >
        > How many Protestant churches are there in a town? One more than the
        > number of Protestants.
        >
        > If we don't take care our Orthodox Churches will end up with as many
        > splinter groups as the Protestants. Again, this is NOT Orthodox.
        >
        > We all need to grow up, get a life and involve ourselves in our OWN
        > parishes and not everyone else's parishes. If we work to build up the
        > Body of Christ at our own local level and avoid pointing fingers at
        > others, if we work on obedience to our Bishop and avoid looking for
        > reasons to dissent, we are more likely to see Orthodoxy thrive.
        >
        > The Synod of Bishops is not a body elected by "the peepul." They are
        > appointed by the rest of the Bishops through the grace of the Holy
        > Spirit. Could it be possible that the Bishops know some things that
        > "wee the peepul" don't know? Could it be possible that God is working
        > through our hierarchy to further His Kingdom? Absolutely.
        >
        > It's time to let all this stuff go and get on with helping each other
        > develop spiritually in an Orthodox manner.
        >
        > Just my $0.02 worth.
        >

        > Yours in Christ,
        > Elizabeth Riggs, a sinner
        > and Perennial Student
        > http://www.angelfire.com/ga/riggs/index.html
        > Our Lady, the Joy of All Who Sorrow Church (ROCOR)
        > Cumming, GA USA (Atlanta, GA area)
        > http://www.churchabroad.org
        > Glory to Jesus Christ! Glory Forever!

        =====