Re: AN UKAZ CONCERNING THE BANNING OF THE CLERGY OF THE WESTERN-EUROPEAN EPARCHY

  • mmalloy@pop.service.ohio-state.edu
    Message 1 of 38 , May 3, 2001
      Fr. Alexander Lebedeff and Dr. Elizabeth Riggs are two of the most
      well informed contributors on this topic.

      To those who want to pick nits: GET A LIFE! The Orthodox Church is
      NOT A DEMOCRACY. Opinions of laypersons are just that - opinions.

      Michael Malloy
      Columbus Ohio
    • catherine elaine sullivan
      Message 38 of 38 , May 7, 2001
        Elizabeth- I'm with you there. Sometimes Orthodox people (especially in this
        country) behave as if we were a Congregational church, where everything is up
        for majority vote!
        --- "Dr. Elizabeth W. Riggs" <ewriggs@...> wrote:
        > On 2 May 01, at 17:53, rsjmil wrote:
        >

        > > What is missing from this situation is any information regarding their
        > > disagreement with their appointed Bishop. Could it be they have a
        > > factual case? If they do, there are better, more Canonical ways of
        > > dealing with it. There must be some reason why they are so opposed to
        > > Bishop Ambroise (spelling from the Directory.) What are the facts? And
        > > is he Bishop or Archbishop now?
        > >
        > > Jos M
        >
        > As Aslan would say, "that is not your story." This is a matter that
        > should not affect any except those directly involved - the clergy and
        > some of the laity in France and the Synod of Bishops. No one else is
        > involved. It is none of our business. The Synod of Bishops has spoken
        > and that's it.
        >
        > All this nosing around and looking for reasons for dissention is NOT
        > Orthodox. It is more like a bunch of American Protestants.
        >
        > How many Protestant churches are there in a town? One more than the
        > number of Protestants.
        >
        > If we don't take care our Orthodox Churches will end up with as many
        > splinter groups as the Protestants. Again, this is NOT Orthodox.
        >
        > We all need to grow up, get a life and involve ourselves in our OWN
        > parishes and not everyone else's parishes. If we work to build up the
        > Body of Christ at our own local level and avoid pointing fingers at
        > others, if we work on obedience to our Bishop and avoid looking for
        > reasons to dissent, we are more likely to see Orthodoxy thrive.
        >
        > The Synod of Bishops is not a body elected by "the peepul." They are
        > appointed by the rest of the Bishops through the grace of the Holy
        > Spirit. Could it be possible that the Bishops know some things that
        > "wee the peepul" don't know? Could it be possible that God is working
        > through our hierarchy to further His Kingdom? Absolutely.
        >
        > It's time to let all this stuff go and get on with helping each other
        > develop spiritually in an Orthodox manner.
        >
        > Just my $0.02 worth.
        >

        > Yours in Christ,
        > Elizabeth Riggs, a sinner
        > and Perennial Student
        > http://www.angelfire.com/ga/riggs/index.html
        > Our Lady, the Joy of All Who Sorrow Church (ROCOR)
        > Cumming, GA USA (Atlanta, GA area)
        > http://www.churchabroad.org
        > Glory to Jesus Christ! Glory Forever!

        =====