RE: An MP Clergyman says: "By Their Fruits Shall Ye Know Them"

  • intrprtr@prodigy.net
    Message 1 of 3 , May 1, 2001
      I potentially stand corrected. It was the ambiguity of the Russian
      statement: "pismo uchastnika
      internet-foruma diakona Andreya Kurayeva" that threw me. I read it to mean
      that Deacon Andrey Kurayev was a participant in a specific Internet-Forum
      and wrote the letter in question, since that seemed to be the most logical
      interpretation thereof -- especially in view of the fact that the writer
      states: "Now, I simply don't know how to pray for our Patriarch at every
      service; to ask the Lord to commemorate him, first of all." ("Ya nye znayu,
      kak teper' na kazhdoi sluzhbe molitsya za nashego Patriarkha, prosit'
      Gospoda pervym pomyanut' yego.") This seems to imply that the writer is a
      member of the clergy -- at least, a deacon -- for no lay-person, to the
      best of my knowledge, exclaims the petitions of an ektenya! The laity
      merely utter the refrain. Hence, my Subject title.

      Since then, however, I have received innumerable "loving admonitions" (for
      want of a better term!!) which claim that Deacon Andrey Kurayev is actually
      the owner of said Internet-Forum, and that the letter in question was
      written by an "anonymous" lay-participant thereon.

      If this is true, and if I have misled anyone through my translation, I
      humbly apologize for any potential -- but, unintentional --
      "misrepresentation" of the situation on my part. However, even if the
      writer was not Deacon Andrey Kurayev, I still believe that it would have
      had to have been a member of the clergy -- otherwise, I would appreciate
      someone explaining how it is that a lay-person would be exclaiming the
      petitions of an ektenya??

      >"BY THEIR FRUITS SHALL YE KNOW THEM" (Matt. 7, 16)
      >
      >or
      >
      >"HOW ARE WE TO LIVE HENCEFORTH?"
      >
      >-- A Dolorous Pascha In the Cathedral Of Christ the Saviour
      >
      >(The Letter Of a Participant On the Internet-Forum, Deacon Andrey Kurayev)
      >
      >The Russian text is available at: http://www.listok.com/heresy13.htm

      {SNIP}

      -- GeoS

      Communing with great Russian literature (and culture in general), with its
      eternal humaneness and principled values, can be but beneficial for each
      person in expanding his horizons; and in those people who are capable of
      thought, it will even tend, in the final analysis, to stimulate them toward
      justice and liberty. -- Vladimir Rudinskii

      http://www.geocities.com/kitezhgrad/index.html

    • V. J. Boitchenko